Boys’ Hockey wins first game of season

Griffin

The boys’ hockey team huddles up before their game against Newburyport.

Griffin Parker, Social Media Editor

On Saturday, December 21, Westford Academy Boys’ hockey beat Newburyport by a score of 3-1 in their season opener.

WA came out strong, controlling the puck throughout the first two periods. Newburyport had very few shots on net for much of the game.

Halfway through the first period, WA struck first, with sophomore forward Ryan McCarthy scoring on a breakaway slapshot. WA held that 1-0 lead until the third period.

In the third period, Newburyport turned up the intensity and aggression. They scored a goal with just under four minutes left in the game to tie the score at one each.

Senior captain Jason Bunyon gave WA the lead back with two minutes left, and senior forward CJ Pacifico put the game away with an empty net goal with a minute remaining.

Penalties were an issue for both teams, with WA players getting sent to the penalty box four times and Newburyport twice. WA was three-for-four on the penalty kill, allowing one goal on their final penalty kill. Newburyport was one-for-two on the penalty kill, allowing an empty net goal at the end of the game.

Sophomore goalie CJ Guglielmo was outstanding in net, saving all but one shot. Guglielmo had multiple incredible saves throughout the game, and the team rushed him in net when the final buzzer sounded.

WA is now 1-0 on the season, and looks to stay undefeated on Friday, December 27, when they face off with Wellesley in Falmouth.