Students smash stress at Smash Club

The+cover+for+the+most+recent+Smash+Bros+game%2C+designed+by+Yusuke+Nakano.+

Yusuke Nakano

The cover for the most recent Smash Bros game, designed by Yusuke Nakano.

Griffin Parker, Social Media Editor

Westford Academy has many clubs that appeal to just about anyone. There are sports teams to play on, groups for the arts, clubs that bring social awareness, and clubs related to academics. A lesser-known club that students may find interesting is the Smash Club.

The Smash Club is a club centered around the Super Smash Bros. video game franchise. Students can go to the club every Tuesday after school from 2:00 to 3:00 PM in room 248.

Computer teacher Anjili Trehan is the advisor of the Smash Club and has been since the club’s formation six years ago.

“The students wanted a club like this, and they asked me about this, and since then I have been advising this club,” Trehan said.

The goal of the Smash club is to provide a laid-back environment for the students to play games, and it provides a place to unwind and de-stress after school.

“Sometimes on school days the students are stressed out, so this is a nice bit of relaxation for them to play games and have fun. It perfectly matches our challenge success mentality,” Trehan said.

“It’s really a relaxed environment; you can play no matter what skill level you are. It’s really open. You can just hop in a game, ask someone to borrow their controller and just play, and if you have your own Switch and controller, you can bring them,” Co-President and sophomore Adrian Antohi said.

Entering the room, the atmosphere is chaotic and exciting. There are more than 20 people playing in at least five different matches, and everyone is yelling at their screens. There is a large variety of skill levels among the players, and anyone is welcome to join any match and play anyone.

Club member and sophomore Ethan Morey enjoys the chaos.

“My favorite part is all the screaming that happens. Honestly, it’s the funniest,” said Morey.

Antohi’s favorite part of the club is the customizability of the game.

“My favorite part of smash club is just playing the game. It’s so fun and has so much customizability. You can change the rules and be any character you want,” said Antohi.