Girls’ field hockey defeated by North Andover

Penny Joyce, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, October 16, the WA Girls’ varsity field hockey team faced off against North Andover. The WA bleachers were filled with cheering parents and students despite the low temperature. Even though the girls lost to North Andover 2-0, the bright lights of a 7 o’clock game kept the intensity high for both players and WA supporters during the game.

The game started with a lot of cheering as the girls starting lineup was announced onto the field. Senior captains Ashley Lefebvre, Geraldine Paglia, and Tori Enis made sure that the team went into the game with energy and excitement.

Junior Sarah Quaranto had many carries up the field using speed to maneuver around North Andover players, unfortunately, none resulting in goals.

Senior goalie Grace O’Sullivan was able to save many of North Andover’s shots on net until late in the first half when the ball slipped by the defense and into the the goal. After the first goal was scored the girls tried to keep playing tough and coach Cheri Fisher made sure to keep the their spirits high at half time.

The crowd had grown in the stands by the second half of the game. With this increasing crowd the pressure and intensity increased helping the girls to keep playing tough against North Andover. WA showed lots of endurance in the second half as they continuously battled against the opposing team.

O’Sullivan was very vocal in net, telling her teammates who was open and where they need to cover. Despite the team’s best efforts North Andover’s offense was able to advance down the field and land another goal in the middle of the second half.

However, the energy on and off the field kept the girls competitive throughout the rest of the game. Both WA and North Andover players showed endurance in the final minutes, fighting tough against one another until the buzzer went off.

“The cheering in the student section really made us want to beat them,” Junior Delia Conway said.

The next varsity field hockey game for the girls is Wednesday, October 16th against Lincoln Sudbury, in L.S. at 4 o’clock. With the field hockey teams record of 4-5-1 the girls are hoping to add another win and qualify for the tournament.