Ice cream social benefits LacosteStrong

Photo by WEPTO

Ice cream social benefits Lacoste and family

Mahi Kandage, Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday October 5, the Westford Elementary Parent-Teacher Organization hosted an ice cream socia,l which raised a total of $9,150 ,from 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM at Westford Academy in support of LacosteStrong, a fund to support Robinson Elementary School Principal Kevin Lacoste.

Lacoste suffered lasting paralysis after falling out of a tree on July 21st. The fall caused severe spinal cord trauma, rendering Lacoste unable to move, walk, or eat.

However, the Westford community started multiple fundraisers to support the family. The Go-Fund Me has raised $173,000 out of its $250,000 goal. Support for the Lacoste family filled the comments section, including comments from those at Lacoste’s previous school community. The mother of one of Lacoste’s students, Lorraine Payson, wrote her sympathies: 

“I cannot imagine finding myself in a similar situation – it’s heartbreaking. Sending best wishes for his recovery, and for his, and his family’s healing,” Payson wrote.

The ice-cream social charged $5 for admission at the door, and placed a family cap of $20, though many people pre-ordered tickets through forms sent home at the elementary schools. 

Through the pre-ordered tickets, WEPTO sold over 700 tickets, and continued to sell them at the Coughlin building during WA soccer games*. The Sign-up Genius website allowed WEPTO to offer the community other ways to contribute to the events, taking sign ups for donations, set-up, and clean-up help. 

However, most of the volunteers were members of the Westford community, including teachers, staff, and PTO members. Much of the publicity for the event was garnered through the elementary schools, but also through the WEPTO Facebook Page, which is the organization’s main social media platform.

“THEY’LL SCOOP KIMBALL FARMS ICE CREAM AND  YOU’LL GET TO PICK YOUR TOPPINGS FOR THEM TO ADD!” the page wrote.