Glossier: Get it while you can

Brand’s third pop-up creates crowds

Anushka Patil, News Editor

Anushka Patil
Some of the products I purchased

Glossier: the paragon of the average high school girl.

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, Glossier, a cult-favorite for skincare and makeup, opened a pop-up shop in the Seaport District. With the opening came the arrival of minimalistic, cosmetics-loving people, traveling to Boston for the bright pink boxes housing their desired products.

The brand boasts cruelty-free skincare and makeup for all races and skin types. Originally, Glossier became the center of cosmetics attention for their brow gels, Cloud Paints (cream blush), and highlighters, which are raved about by numerous buyers. Aside from the products that rose the company to fame, there are many others, including skin solutions, serums, moisturizers, and other beauty necessities.

Over the weekend of September 20, I took a trip to Boston with one goal in mind. Glossier.

Once I saw the pink buildings, I knew that this pop-up shop had everything I needed and more. The vibe was amazing. Employees wearing their designated pink jumpsuits roamed through the six rooms of the store. In each room, a new surprise awaited. Some were specifically utilized for picture opportunities, while the rest held displays of the products.

After spending an hour contemplating which products to purchase, I finally left the store with nine new products to try out.

Starting off, I would like to mention that I am someone who is not into the heavy type of facial coverage. I prefer light-weight, unnoticeable makeup that serves to slightly enhance the face. So, I may have a small bias towards Glossier, since I am inclined to enjoy the less-is-more side of beauty.

Anushka Patil
Glossier Moisturizing Moon Mask (22 USD)

The first item I migrated to in the store was the moon mask. The simple container with the cosmic designs instantly convinced me to buy it. The mask is supposed to be a hydrating, soothing blend of almond oil, plant-based squalane, and hyaluronic acid. After using the mask I noticed that my skin felt softer than it had before. However, I do not think that the effects of the mask were anything major. All the mask was successful in doing was somewhat hydrating my skin for a few hours, providing a slight dewy essence to my face. Personally, I feel like there are more affordable masks available that serve their purpose a lot better than the Moon Mask by Glossier.

Another skincare product that I decided to test out, that ended up disappointing me, was the priming moisturizer. I have heard mixed opinions about this moisturizer but wanted to see for myself if it was worth it. I chose to go with the sample since if it did not work for me, I would not have a large bottle of moisturizer that would ultimately go to waste.

Glossier Priming Moisturizer (full-size 22 USD)

For me, the priming moisturizer, which is supposed to have a buildable, light-weight formula, ended up not sitting on my face right and felt dense at times. I would not recommend this moisturizer for anyone who is looking for an unnoticeable, easy way to hydrate. Also, it is important to note that the moisturizer includes retinol which can irritate sensitive skin.

Anushka Patil
Glossier Super Glow serum (28 USD)

Although those skin products failed to impress me, I thoroughly enjoyed the Super Glow serum, the Balm Dotcom, and the exfoliating skin perfector. The Super Glow left my skin feeling brightened right after using it. The only problem I had with it was that it had a slightly pungent smell to it, but other than that, the serum worked exactly as I expected. For the solution, there was a contrast between its uniform liquid and other exfoliators I had used in the past. I loved how instead of harshly scrubbing the surface of my skin, the solution is smooth and leaves my skin feeling fresh.

Anushka Patil
Glossier Mango Balm Dotcom (12 USD)

Switching to the Balm Dotcom, it is my favorite purchase from Glossier. I love how the packaging is a tube, which gives it a very different appearance when compared to other balms I have tried in the past. For the salve, I purchased mango, a fun, tropical flavor, resembling the taste of the fruit itself. The texture is not too thick and remains, in a comfortable way, on your lips for a long period of time.

As for makeup, the products I tried were all better than I expected, and I had high expectations.

Anushka Patil
Glossier Boy Brow (16 USD)

The Lash Flick (mascara) formula had a slight chemical smell, but the product still amazed with its lightweight formula, simple applicator, and natural look. The Lash Flick held all day with no smudging and gave the same enhanced appearance to my lashes from morning to evening. It lengthens the lashes without coating them with a heavy product, making it a great product to give the eyelashes life without overdoing it. Similarly, the Boy Brow (eyebrow gel) does a great job of grooming your eyebrows in place. I have thick, black eyebrows, so I chose the clear gel. The clear Boy Brow does its job by using a thin coat of translucent gel to place my hairs in place without giving the appearance there is a product on my eyebrows.

Anushka Patil
Glossier Haloscope in Quartz (22 USD)

The other two makeup items that I decided to try out were the Cloud Paint (blush) in the shade Beam and the Haloscope (highlighter) in the shade Quartz. Both of these products are cream-based and give a natural, dewy appearance to the skin. The Cloud Paint gives an effortless sun-kissed glow, while the Haloscope adds extra life where it is needed. The only thing I would keep in mind is that a little goes a long way for both these products.

Anushka Patil
Glossier Cloud Paint in Beam (18 USD)

After trying out my purchases, I know that the Lash Slick, the Boy Brow, the Cloud Paint, and the Haloscope highlighter will all become a part of my daily routine, as well as some of the other skincare products. Although I enjoyed mostly everything I purchased, I think that the cosmetics side of Glossier is better than the skincare side.

Anushka Patil
Glossier Lash Slick (16 USD)

Overall, Glossier is pricier than drugstore makeup but more affordable than high-end products. However, I think the brand is far better than other companies out there. I recommend Glossier to anyone who is a beginner to makeup and who needs a good stepping stone into the realm of beauty.

If you happen to miss the chance to check out the pop-up store in Boston, which is set to close on October 5, 2019, don’t worry, Glossier will remain online.