Billie Eilish’s album does not put fans to sleep

Billie Eilishs album does not put fans to sleep

Aliviah MacCormack, Staff Writer

On Friday, March 29, 2019, singer Billie Eilish released her second album, When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? including fourteen tracks that are classified under the alternative genre. Billie Eilish is very popular among the students at WA, but mostly the girls. This album has a different sound than her first album, it is more creepy and dark sounding.

The song that first brought Eilish to stardom is “Ocean Eyes” which was released in 2016. After the release of “Ocean Eyes”, Eilish recorded more songs and eventually came out with her first album, Don’t Smile At Me in 2017.

Some songs that stand out on the album are “bad guy”, “you should see me in a crown”, “when the party’s over”, and “my strange addiction”. “bad guy” has a catchy beat that sticks in your head and leaves a memorable impression. “you should see me in a crown” is a bit different from Eilish’s other songs, as it is creepier than her past ones. This song has meaningful lyrics about not just being there for a boy, but her having control as well. In “when the party’s over”, Eilish sings about not being able to let go of a past lover, which is a common topic of conversation among many teens and young adults. “my strange addiction” has audio clips from The Office and a catchy beat. Eilish’s voice stands out on this track, as she hits a variety of different notes.

Two tracks on the album that are weaker are “xanny” and “all the good girls go to hell”. “xanny” has a lot of bass at some points of the track and the bass is inserted at awkward points of the song, as if it is distracting from weak lyrics. “all good girls go to hell” doesn’t seem to have meaningful lyrics that express feeling or get a message across. The background music also sounds like some of her other songs.

“wish you were gay” is a fairly controversial song due to the fact that Eilish is singing about how she would rather the guy who liked her would be gay so he wouldn’t like her anymore. Some people can look past the homophobic lyrics, but others cannot. Some are able to look past the homophobic comments because other than the fact that she says that she wishes he were gay, the lyrics are relatable,

All in all, Eilish’s new album was really well done. The lyrics of her songs are really meaningful for the most part and the background music is all really catchy and unique. When she goes on tour in the summer, there is no doubt that her show will be a hit.