AirPods, high school’s badge of superiority

Lyndsay Duato, Staff Writer

AirPods, Apple’s new Bluetooth earbuds, have become a big deal among high schoolers. AirPods have not only been used as cordless earbuds, but they have become a status symbol among high schoolers. It’s like a new type of cliche among teenagers.

Since AirPods don’t have cords, I have found that many people I know have lost them. My mom lost her case and one of her AirPods leaving only a sole earbud left. My sister has dropped the case many times and even a few of my friends have had to buy new Airpods all together.

This may lead some may think that Airpods might not be as great as everyone thinks they are. Well according to a survey conducted by Statista, 98% percent of participants reported being happy with the time it takes to charge AirPods, 97% were happy with the design and the Bluetooth pairing process, 95% were happy with battery life and comfort, and 93% were happy with the ear fit and security.

It has been estimated that 28 million AirPods were sold in 2018. This was most likely the result of high demand around Christmas season. I can remember coming back from school and everyone had AirPods. Even my sister was given a pair for Christmas. This was when the split between earbuds and Airpods began, and the memes first started.

AirPod users wear their earbuds around school like a badge. It makes those of us with cords feel bad about ourselves, like we don’t have enough money to matter. I wanted AirPods for a little while, but I don’t anymore and now that I look back on it, the only reason I had wanted them was because I felt pressured to have them because everyone else does. In my personal opinion AirPods look stupid, but I still feel the need to have a pair because I don’t want to be lame or left out.

The only good thing that has come from the AirPod and wire separation is the memes. The memes that have come from this elitist groups actions are some of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. With some featuring lines such as “I don’t speak broke,” “It smells like broke in here,” or “They don’t fall out.” They highlight the way that society has been separated from AirPod users and “broke people.”

There are a few people I know who have AirPods and don’t flex on everyone else and I thank those people. They don’t make me feel bad for not having AirPods. I wish all AirPod users were like this, but sadly that is not our reality.

AirPods are an amazing new invention from Apple, but the separation that comes with it is not worth it. Others feel the pressure to have AirPods because everyone else does and it is not right. Our society has been separated and we need to change that.