Svoboda swims her way to excellence

Photo Provided by Lauren Burke

Keertana Gangireddy, Staff Writer

Senior Anika Svoboda, varsity captain of the Westford Academy Swim and Dive Team and a member of the Patriot Swim Team in Massachusetts, has earned herself a reputable position as one of the best swimmers in the state. 

Svoboda started out not quite knowing what to make of swimming. Her parents put her in a club when she was ten years old, hence sprouting her passion and enjoyment for the sport. She became serious about it in ninth grade when she joined her club team and the school team. It was then that she became motivated to improve herself and strive for only the best in the pool.

Starting out her freshman year with a spot on the varsity team, and as a prominent swimmer on the Patriot Swim Team, Svoboda has several impressive times in the pool. She was a part of a record-setting relay for the school team in her junior year. With a 24.84 second record in the 50-yard freestyle for the New England Swimming 15-18 Age Group Championships, and 54.78 seconds in the 100-yard freestyle for MIAA Girls Division I State Championships, Svoboda has reached the rank as currently the 41st female high school swimmer in the state of Massachusetts. 

“That ranking has really motivated me to keep getting faster, I want to keep seeing that number drop. It has definitely also been something that has encouraged me, seeing that I am 41st, showing that, ‘oh wow, I actually do deserve the recognition that I get for my commitment,’” said Svoboda.

Svoboda’s coach, Caitlin Klick-McHugh, describes her as “hardworking” and a “team-player who will do anything for her team”. Klick-Mchugh notes that doing well for her fellow teammates acts as great motivation for her, and that she “always accepts feedback from her coaches”.

“It is clear that swimming is a priority for her,” says Klick-McHugh. “She has trained year-round to get to the point where she’s at.” 

With swimming being a substantial commitment, Svoboda has been frustrated at times with the sport, but is consistently on top of her academics, and has always found a way to balance her athletic and educational career.

“I actually think swimming helps me manage time. It helps me not procrastinate and get my work done,” said Svoboda.

Svoboda’s competitive spirit and diligent work ethic have resulted in her commitment to Providence College, a division 1 school for swimming. She mentions that she never expected herself to be swimming in college, and assumed that she would spend her four years involved with only academics. She remarks that she was excited for the opportunity to swim after her graduation from Westford Academy, as the sport helps her balance her life and stay on task.

After college, Svoboda hopes to be a lawyer, more specifically to pursue a career in patent law.

In her last year on the Girl’s Swim and Dive Team at WA, Svoboda is looking forward to working with her teammates both old and new, improving her stroke, and hopefully bringing home a win in another State Championship.