Sports Entertainment in the area this summer

Dan Allison, Writer

Students are about to take their finals and finish school up for the year, while summer is approaching closer and closer by the day. Along with it come many different events and entertainment in the sports category. So for those who will be lingering around the house during the dog days and hungry for sports action, this is for you.

Lowell Spinners Baseball, June to September 

The Lowell Spinners have been in Middlesex County since 1996 and have offered Single A baseball action for over 20 years. The Spinners play in the New York Penn League and have been the starting points for many big Red Sox alumni like Kevin Youkilis and Jacoby Ellsbury as well as current players including Andrew Benintendi, Mookie Betts, and Jackie Bradley Jr. The Spinners offer excitement on the field but also off it as well; Edward A. LeLacheur Park has great food and beverages and there are opportunities for group outings as well. The team plays 38 home games from late June to early September including different promotional giveaways, which is a fun experience at an extremely affordable price.

Boston Cannons Lacrosse, June to August

Easily one of the most affordable experiences to watch a major league sport, the Boston Cannons reside at historic Harvard Stadium and display fast-paced, exciting lacrosse action. This organization is the only chance to can watch high-level lacrosse in this area, and they also offer many different angles and views of the game with exclusive sideline seats and a endzone beer garden. Besides the action, the Cannons satisfies the fans with events such as a autograph/fan zone and even a Lacrosse All-Star Game that is exclusive for the 2018 season. If you are in or around Boston, feel free to spend your night with the Cannons.

New Hampshire Fisher Cats Baseball, June to September 

Even being 40 minutes north of Westford, the Fisher Cats are a must see attraction this summer with the team playing great as of now. New Hampshire is currently at the top of the Eastern League’s East Division with bright young stars including Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio, and the son of Hall of Famer Vladimir Guerrero, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Being a Double A club unlike the Spinners, they have many different attractions at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium such as left field seating with a restaurant and Box Suites above and around the ballpark. With a great stadium and a team currently on fire, the Fisher Cats are putting Manchester on the map.

Big 3 Basketball, August 3rd 

Unlike the traditional ballparks of summer and outdoor activities, celebrity Ice Cube is launching season 2 of his summer basketball league “Big 3”. This league has 6 teams consisting of former NBA players playing in 3 on 3 basketball games as the league moves from city to city and arena to arena over the summer. This year, the Big 3 will be stopping at the TD Garden and will offer basketball to the people of New England at a time where basketball is usually overshadowed. If your are looking to quench your basketball thirst, look into Ice Cube’s creation when it comes to town in early August.

New England Patriots (Training Camp + Preseason) Football, August

While some people love the summertime, others have fall on their minds and the arrival of football season. Luckily, the New England Patriots bring together the best of both worlds with their preseason activities as they prepare for the 2018 Season. For the training camp, side fields used outside the main stadium have plenty of viewing areas for the public to watch the Patriots’ run drills and scrimmages. It offers a close-up look at professional football players as players often sign autographs and take pictures with the fans after the practice ends. If you are looking to give up some money for a real football game experience then the Patriots have 2 home preseason games against other NFL teams at Gillette Stadium. Even in the midst of the offseason, you can still get to watch some Patriots Football.

Boston Red Sox Baseball, June to September

Easily the epicenter of summer sports, the Boston Red Sox are one of the most historic teams in baseball and are thriving in the American League East with a lot of young studs. Located at one of the best venues in all of the sports world, the Red Sox put on a show in beautiful Fenway Park as players like Mookie Betts, J.D. Martinez, and Xander Bogaerts get the Boston faithful up on their feet. Off the field, the Red Sox have great food options and terrific fan experiences within the concourses of Fenway. With great seating options and plenty of games all summer long, the Sox will have you feeling “So Good, So Good, So Good!”