Keefe sticks to UMass Lowell

Junior+Hannah+Keefe+drags+back+the+bal+to+avoid+an+incoming+Waltham+defender+
Junior Hannah Keefe drags back the bal to avoid an incoming Waltham defender

Bella Barreto, Staff Writer

This year is the last year for senior field hockey star, Hannah Keefe. Over the four years that Keefe has been at WA, she has accomplished many things academically and physically. Keefe has been team captain junior and senior years along with being the leading scorer senior year.

“I was [a] DCL All-Star junior and senior year […] and Lowell Sun All-Star as well during junior year,” Keefe said about her accomplishments.

Even after an injury made her miss most of her games last season, that didn’t stop Keefe from playing the sport she loved.

“I was hurt the majority of senior year too, I was out ten games out of the seventeen games scheduled. I was out with a stress fracture,” Keefe said.

Throughout Keefe’s field hockey career, she has met many people who have helped her become an even better player.

“I have our high school coach, Cheri Fisher […] [I have] my club coach, her name is Sue Cables. And she coached at Harvard for twenty-four years and made the connection for me at UMass Lowell, she really did everything. Mr. Ware, he’s the hockey coach, but he’s always had my back whenever I’m doing anything,” she said.

While on the topic, Keefe talked about some of her new teammates and her the experience on meeting them.

“I’ve met a few of my new teammates at the college. My roommate is actually on the team, she’s really nice. And I’ve met a handful of the girls, all really nice,” she said.

Keefe also reminisced back to the girls she’s played with for years and their wins and memories together.

“I’m going to miss the girls I’ve been playing with for so long, especially my club team and girls on the WA team. I’ll really miss all of them,” Keefe said.

Keefe has been playing field hockey ever since she was at Blanchard Middle School and had decided at a young age that she would always be playing field hockey.

“Well, I’ve played since middle school, I was on the Blanchard team seventh and eigth grade. Then, sophomore year after the freshman field hockey team, I was like I want to play in college. Like, this is fun, it’s fun. It’s what I like doing, it’s […] when I’m not doing it I miss it, and when I’m doing it, I want to do it more,” said Keefe.

Keefe applied to many colleges and has decided to attend UMass Lowell; she will be majoring in mechanical engineering.

About the Writer
Bella Barreto, Staff Writer
I am Bella Barreto. I have been a military brat for 14 years. I am a freshman at Westford Academy. I enjoy playing sports, including soccer, track, softball, and football. My favorite color is maroon and my favorite number is 13. I very excited to cover this year for the Ghostwriter.