Johnson’s: decent Kimball’s substitute

Courtesy of Johnson’s Website

Andrew Friel, Co-Editor-in-Chief

As summer arrives, albeit slowly, the town of Westford and its students’ minds turn to one thing: ice cream. Of course, there is the famous Kimball Farm ice cream stand in the town itself, but if you’re looking for something a bit different in a unique setting, Johnson’s Restaurant and Dairy Bar is the place for you.

When pulling up to this establishment, it seems like the run of the mill New England restaurant. To the left is the ice cream windows, which we headed to and parked right in front of. The quaint setting near the woods offers some peace and quiet despite being located on a busy thruway.

With no one in line at the time, we stepped up to the window and ordered three items; one for each of us and one for a friend. We ordered the cookie dough frappe, a coffee Oreo frappe, and a small coffee Oreo in a cup.

As it pertains to the service, the girls behind the counter were very friendly, and didn’t take abnormally long to make two frappes based on my past experiences.

Overall, the ice cream was just about what we expected. The frappes were well mixed, thick, and tasted good, and the standard ice cream was tasty as well. The flavor options were not as expansive as Kimball’s, however there were some unique options not seen anywhere else. The bubblegum flavor in particular caught our eyes, and we quickly looked away in horror at the thought.

Price-wise, the total cost of the three items was about $15. In comparison to Kimball’s, if you were to order the same items, this is a good price.

Some of the positives of this stand is that you will not run into that person you don’t particularly like in school since it’s a bit of a drive from much of the town of Westford. Of course, the price point is a major positive as well.

Cons included the distance driven and the ice cream not being particularly special.

However, overall,with the setting in the woods with places to sit outside and parking right in front of the ice cream, as well as a cheap price point and good service, we would give Johnson’s a 7/10.

If you want to try Johnson’s for yourself, you can find them located at 164 Boston Road (Rte 119)
Groton, MA 01450, or online at johnsonsrestaurantanddairybar.com.