WA takes on DECA States

Dan Allison, Writer

The Westford Academy DECA club made their way to Boston for the annual state career development conference on March 8-10th. Hosted at the Hynes Convention Center, this competition and activity packed event consisted of groups competing in group projects and exams to be judged and placed for medals and trophies.

This is one of DECA’s biggest highlights of the year as the largest Massachusetts business club of 147 students took on the weekend.

A lingering snow storm left questions in the air about the trip but the precipitation would not stop WA DECA. Four days of competition from Thursday to Sunday had the Ghosts mark all over it.

At the end of the weekend, Westford earned 47 medals, 68 students placed in the top ten of their events, and 36 students qualified for the international competition held in Atlanta.

Also, Westford Academy’s Jenny Park campaigned and was elected for Massachusetts State Officer for next year which is a major feat.

Josh Rosenstein, a 10th grader who is a member of the DECA group had some comments about the trip.

“It was a really fun experience being able to go to Boston. The competition was definitely more intense as the role plays were a little harder and the judges were a little more strict. A ton of WA students qualified for nationals and WA even had a student (Jenny Park) selected to the state action team. It was great to see WA have so much success at states,” Rosenstein said.

The next circle on DECA’s calendar is April 21-24, when the qualified students fly down to Atlanta, Georgia for the national competition.