WA students chime in on the Olympics

Medha: “I think it is a time of unity because even though we’re competing against other countries, we’re all together doing something peaceful, not fighting for once. All the countries that don't like each other, they’re there and they’re competing in friendly ways, like games. I think it’s unity” 
Maya: “I think it’s unity too, there is competition involved but I feel like for the most part, countries are generally very supportive of one another, especially in events like ice skating for example where it's more like a judge who determines who wins rather than like a race” - seniors Medha Palnati (right) and Maya Kapur (left)

Medha: “I think it is a time of unity because even though we’re competing against other countries, we’re all together doing something peaceful, not fighting for once. All the countries that don't like each other, they’re there and they’re competing in friendly ways, like games. I think it’s unity” Maya: “I think it’s unity too, there is competition involved but I feel like for the most part, countries are generally very supportive of one another, especially in events like ice skating for example where it's more like a judge who determines who wins rather than like a race” - seniors Medha Palnati (right) and Maya Kapur (left)

John Vassiliou

John Vassiliou

John Vassiliou, Staff Writer

WA students were asked how they saw the Olympics, and if they looked at it as a form of international unity or competition. Here are some of their responses:

“I think it’s a little mixture of both. The whole visual of all of it, the North Koreans and South Koreans, and how it really unified them, and it showed that there are moments in time where those two types of people, who would have never imagined to do that, actually came together to be one. And then for the competition, at the same time every country wants to show up like they have the best athletes in the world, so that [part is] definitely a big competition.” - senior Shane Kelly

John Vassiliou, Editor

My name is John Vassiliou, I live in Westford and I am a Junior at Westford Academy. I like studying history, reading, writing and spending time with my family. I like keeping things about myself short, so i’ll have that be it about me.