Five simple steps for conquering senioritis

Anthony Cammalleri, Co-Managing Editor

I remember December 15th, 2017 as if it were yesterday. Driving home from Newport, Rhode Island, I stopped at a Dunkin’ Donuts to buy a cup of black coffee. Waiting in line, I checked my emails: spam, spam, spam, and then, as the birds in the sky ceased to sing,and time halted in motion, the words “Emerson College” popped up.

Opening it, a message read: “Your application status has been updated”. I could hardly breathe.

After begging Fletcher Librarians to stay open just a little longer during the October wind storm so that I could finish my application, the time had officially come. Clicking the link over and over again; however, I was not able to access Emerson’s portal from my phone. I chugged a hot coffee, jumped into the car, and promised myself that I would stay in sixth gear until I got home.

My mother greeted me at the door, and I cruelly ignored her, darted to my room and opened my laptop.

It was at this shining moment, that I was diagnosed with a disease I had heard of in the past, but simply pushed aside. As I read that acceptance letter, senioritis molecules formed in the air, spraying out of my computer and into my lungs.

More than a month later, I now find myself in a slow recovery. I might not be studying less than a week before midterms, but at least I’m doing something: writing a goofy article about a fictitious disease. Here are five helpful tricks to help you stay productive while fighting senioritis.

1. Keep the word “revocation” in your mind at all times

Although its occurrence is rare, colleges have the right to revoke an applicant’s acceptance due to poor academic performance or disciplinary problems during the remainder of his or her senior year. Now, you might be telling yourself, “I’m not a criminal and I’m passing all my classes, so I should be fine”.

The truth is that you’re right, but remember the way your parents used to scare you from eating sweets by telling you that they’d give you nightmares? Remember how well it worked (at least for the most part)? You’re an adult now, and your parents are no longer responsible for scaring you into caring, so you have to do it yourself. Although a slight grade drop most likely will not send a college running away, you have to lie to yourself and tell yourself constantly that it very well might.

2. Caffeine

Remember the time that you had to finish an essay at 2:30 AM? Your eyelids were heavy, and your writing was sloppy, but you were determined to hand it in on time. What kept you focused and diligent? Most likely, it was a few cups of coffee or tea. Sure, that used to work for you back when you were healthy, but with senioritis running through your veins, that cup of coffee will no longer keep you focused through an essay.

A mind intoxicated by senioritis needs all the energy and focus it can get, so it is essential for you to use that coffee grinder not only for projects and exams, but for small homework assignments, or even to stay awake in class. Stay wired all the time, or perish from senioritis.

3. Reach Out

While senioritis’ side effects might include drops in motivation, grade point average, or alarm clock effectiveness, one of the disease’s most heartbreaking side effects is a drop in self esteem. You may very well find yourself constantly hitting yourself on the head thinking, “Why am I such a slacker? I was so motivated these past three years, what happened to me?”. It is important not to let yourself drown in self pity while facing these rough stages- this can dig you even deeper into a bottomless pit of depressive laziness. Instead, try to reach out to classmates who are struggling with the same post-acceptance lull that you are in.

Keeping social relationships with members of your class will remind you that you are not alone, and that they too are struggling to complete the assigned reading the morning before class.

4. Imagine all the teachers

We have all at some point or another had that one high school teacher who was simply amazing. Perhaps it was that one understanding french teacher who made class fun and exciting every day (I hope you are reading this Madame Lackner), maybe it was the English teacher who inspired you to see life a different way (hey Mr. Mahoney). Perhaps it was that lively history teacher who actually gave you one of his jackets, or the journalism teacher that showed concern when you were at your lowest point.

Either way, you must constantly ask yourself: “What would they all think if they saw me now?”. Perhaps your grades matter less to you now that you are riding the golden acceptance letter into graduation, but can you really bear the look on that wonderful, dedicated teacher’s face when you never show any interest in his or her class? They all helped you make it this far, the least you can do is muster up enough motivation to pay their classes a sliver of attention.

5. Acceptance

Senioritis will pass. As college begins and you are forced to buckle down, you will sooner or later get your motivation back. One of the most important things to remember while living with senioritis is that until June, it is not likely to completely dissolve. In fact, while spring rolls in and graduation is approaching, a heavy relapse will likely occur.

That being the case, it is important to partially accept your senioritis and learn to love it. Instead of struggling and tearing your hair out for your own lack of energy, put it to good use. Remember that it is natural to slow down once you have crossed the finish line and use this carefree attitude to explore life a little bit. Maybe make a new friend, or go out on a Tuesday night. Everyone else is still running, but you have already made it- own it and enjoy it. Before you know it, June will roll around, and this will all be a memory.