WA plans upcoming events to prevent discrimination

Ben Walker, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Due to recent racial issues within the school, WA administration recently met with the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) to discuss how these issues can be solved. According to Principal Jim Antonelli, administration learned about different hypothetical racial scenarios and how the school would respond to them.

After meeting with the ADL, Antonelli says that there will be steps moving forward for students to help solve the racial issues at WA.

One of the proposed solutions to the problem, Antonelli says, is to have a school-wide event for students to learn about these tough topics and how these issues can be solved together.

Although the plan is still in the early stages, Antonelli says he is currently working with the Diversity Committee to figure out a day in march for this assembly. The assembly will take place on a normal school day, but without classes all day.

Antonelli says that the reason for deciding to organize this day is to help make sure that the school continues to progress in the acceptance of everyone.

“As much as I think we’ve moved progressively forward, currently I feel like we’ve taken several steps back and that makes me very sad. That’s not the school that we are,” he said.

As far as what this day will consist of, Antonelli hopes to have speakers, movies, or a variety of different activities that will help the student at WA.

“[It could have] guest speakers, workshops, student-lead conversations, teacher-lead conversations, administrative-lead conversations, it could be a particular movie or clip, it could be open-forum conversations […],” Antonelli said.

Additionally, the day in March will not be the only step taken to prevent racial issues at WA. Antonelli says that he is currently working with a group of students on a PSA.

In the end, Antonelli stresses that he wants to make sure WA is a safe and welcoming environment for all students that attend.

”I want to set the table to make sure everybody feels welcome here. I want to continue to make sure that this place is a safe place for all students,” he said.