WA teacher brings students to the past

WA teacher brings students to the past

Tony Yacavone, Staff Writer

On the 13th of November, 2017, a teacher at WA brought his students back to the 1920’s. History teacher Stephen Scully set up the viewing of the silent film “Wings”. The film was watched by freshmen and sophomores. Scully stated at the start of the movie that he wanted the students to get an experience that related to what his students were working on in class.

Produced by Lucien Habbard, the two-and-a-half hour movie followed a person who became a pilot in the military. It followed his journey through fighting in World War I. The movie highlighted things that real World War I fighters did, such as take vacations from wars. Throughout the story soldiers are seen in war, fighting among themselves, and partying during their time off.

To make the experience more exciting, through the entire film, Peter Krasinski played the organ to emphasize the emotions and meaning of the scenes. Scully commemorated Krasinski when he said “At almost two-and-a-half hours, some will complain it is too long or that it was silent thereby missing the nuances and improvisation of acclaimed organist Peter Krasinski who has performed his magic around the world.”

Freshmen student Aditya Ganatra gave feedback on his experience with the movie.

“It was beneficial in providing a perspective to the world war in a more first person view,” he said.

Scully believes that the film is very beneficial to students and their understanding of history.

“I believe the silent film is beneficial because it helps students experience history firsthand. Rarely can you take students and place them in an era. This silent film not only compliments the curriculum but transports them back in time for a few hours where they can reflect on the events, music and scenery of the First World War […] I believe history is best studied by connecting to the past and any opportunity we can provide toward that end is in their best interest.”

Scully also said that this silent film was shown because of Veterans day.

On Friday, students had the day off in observance of Veteran’s Day. Today’s experience will help students reflect on the sacrifice’s men and women have made in defense of our nation. In addition, it shines a light on the centennial of American involvement in WWI.” Scully said.