WA Boys’ Soccer prevails 2-0 over Cambridge

Andrew Friel, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday October 3rd, WA boys soccer beat Cambridge-Rindge and Latin 2-0 in a tightly contested match with only small bits of action throughout.

The match began fairly evenly, with both sides fighting for possession. The ball remained on the far sideline, with Cambridge and WA hoping to make the first move. Both sides employed the use of slide tackles and strong challenges in order to gain possession, but neither side would budge.

Finally, after much back and forth play, and a few minor injuries along the way, WA scored their first goal in front of the net after a scrum. Sophomore Noah Cherry netted the goal.

The game continued at the same pace as before, with both sides fighting particularly hard, causing a few minor stoppages for injuries to players such as senior Derek Jones. Jones would need to come off the field for a brief look over before returning to the action.

The Ghosts made many attempts from medium and close range, but could not find the back of the net due to missing the net on a handful of occasions.

This fast pace of play continued, up until a fantastic touch by junior Nick Awada in front of the net from a falling position and into the back of the net.

With a few more chances from both WA and Cambridge, the half came to an end, the Ghosts up 2-0.

The remainder of the game held to this same score, with junior goalkeeper Alex Wood making many athletic saves in order to hold his shutout up until the final whistle.

Overall, the matchup displayed consistencies between both teams’ games; they favor rushing the ball close to the net and scoring in the box rather than taking shots from far out, and both teams play a physical brand of soccer that led to a handful of minor and moderate injuries on both sides of the field.

The boys will take on DCL rival Acton-Boxborough under the lights at WA at 7pm on Friday, October 6th.