Soo plays with John Williams at BC

Photo from BC news (By Michael Manning)

Andrew Friel, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Friday September 29th, new environmental science teacher Mark Soo was doing something many will never be able to relate with; performing on the same stage as famed composer John Williams at his alma matar, Boston College.

Boston College hosted the 25th annual Pop on the Heights, an event designed to raise money for student scholarships, and featured a handful of famous performers including Williams, Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops, as well as singer Jennifer Hudson.

Soo performed with 25 BC students and alumni in an open concert setting at the Conte Forum on campus. The ensemble played the Olympic fanfare for the audience.

“It was a really incredible feeling to perform in front of thousands of people on the same stage that the Boston Pops and John Williams would play from,” Soo said, ” I haven’t felt an adrenaline rush quite like that in a while!”

Soo recalled a moment following the performance where he was apparently walking next to Williams, however he never noticed him because he was so excited after the performance.

Williams, following some of the performances, was presented with the University’s President’s Medal for Excellence.

By the end of the event, the school had raised around $14 million for student scholarships.