Girls’ volleyball rallies for the win against AB

Chloe Morbelli, Arts Editor

Captain Emily Doolin gives the team a pre-game pep talk in the halls.

On September 13, 2017, Westford Academy Girls’ Volleyball had a lively game against its known rival, Acton-Boxborough. Being a tough competitor, AB created feelings of defeat in WA during the first two sets. The girls came back strong in the third set, battling into the fifth and final game. Winning the last three sets, WA beat AB in their fourth game of the season.

Preparing for the game with the traditional blackout spirit day, WA was ready to battle its rival. Before, after, and throughout the game, energy was high. The intensity on the court and bench was beneficial to the girls during the tough game.

“Each year we’ve played [AB], they’ve brought a very competitive team, so we went into the game knowing that it would be a tough match,” Senior Captain Elizabeth Arnold said.

In the first set, WA and AB’s scores remained close. With consistent communication and an extremely long rally, WA worked well as a team and maintained a slight lead. It was toward the very end that AB pulled ahead and beat WA by two points, with a score of 25-23.

The second set was the weakest of the five, with the girls starting to lose their energy. The majority of points were lost to balls going out of bounds. At this point in the game, AB towered WA in score, winning 25-11.

“Even though we were prepared, I must say we were definitely a little rattled [at this point]. They had strong defense and found our weak spots.” Arnold said in response to the lost second set.

WA was able to get back onto its feet in the third set, with great spikes, saves in the back row, and blocks. A turning point in the game, WA led 25-18.

Continuing on to the fourth and fifth sets, WA fought hard to secure its victory. With a great save made by Arnold, sending the ball over after hitting the ceiling, and amazing blocks from junior Elise Sepe, the last two sets excited the bench and crowd. Sealing the win for WA, the fourth set ended 25-23 and the fifth 15-8.

Throughout the game, exceptional performances were seen from seniors Arnold and Paige Kacherian hitting in the front row, Sepe making great blocks, senior captain Kayleigh Semeter setting the ball, and from senior captain and libero, Emily Doolin, diving in the back row.  These five played for majority of the five sets.

“We were able to come back strong and win the [last] three sets, which is something I’m very proud of,” Arnold said after the exciting win.

About the Writer
Chloe Morbelli, Arts and Entertainment Editor
I’m a creative, laid-back, hardworking yet stressed senior who is continuing on with my second year on the Ghostwriter. I’m intrigued by the arts, writing, fashion, travel, and the Earth and our impact on it. In the world of journalism, I enjoy writing features, reviews, and focusing in on the arts.