New England Patriots school Westford in charity basketball

Dinesh Shanthakumar, Staff Writer

On Monday, June 5th Westford hosted the New England Patriots at WA for the annual charity basketball game. Six Patriots players laced up and went to town with the basketball. The Westford team was comprised of members of the Westford schools’ faculty, students, and Westford community members. The Pats team was comprised of Malcolm Butler, Trey Flowers, Duron Harmon, Justin Coleman and Chase Ferris. And if you think they are slick on the field, then you haven’t seen them on the basketball court.

The first quarter began as really any man’s game. If one team scored, the other would respond soon enough to keep the score see-sawing back and forth. But Westford’s players seemed to get tired just as the Pats were warming up. This gave way to many turnover that only complimented WA’s Boy’s Basketball’s players who helped Harmon and Coleman end the first quarter with a lead of 29-14 over Westford.

The second quarter started with renewed vigor as Westford’s players tied up the Pat’s earlier score of 29. But just as Westford got organized into a rhythm, the ear piercing shriek of, what could only be the buzzer signalled halftime.

Halftime, for most, couldn’t have come fast enough. Fans rushed to the tables even before they were set up to get their various possessions autographed. The Pats, though tired, were only too willing as they patiently posed for photos signed numerous shirts, hats, and balls, as well as taking time to talk with fans. This only made it harder for people to get back to their seats when the buzzer screeched yet again, signalling the second half of the match.

After herding up the audience back to their seats, the third quarter got under way with Westford scoring the preliminary baskets and catching the Pats off-guard. And after letting in about 5 easy baskets, the pats had enough and went back to work. This time led by Butler, who combined with, Flowers and Coleman maintained their lead over Westford raising the score to 66-39 Pats.

Then came the highly anticipated raffles. The winners of the first raffle gathered in a line, where each winner would “go long” as one of the Patriots would throw them their prize, a signed football. The second raffle had only one winner who won their very own signed Malcolm Butler signed jersey. From young to wise, everyone who participated had fun.

And with many interruptions prolonging the game, the end was near, and boy was it good. Butler and Flowers came hot off the (cushioned) bench, putting on a clinic with flamboyant dunks and wide threes. Westford on the other hand, had just as many shots, but couldn’t connect with the hoop. All seemed lost as the Patriots sunk an even 100 points, but that was when Westford came back. Spending the last few minutes of the game sinking shot after shot, giving back as good as they had gotten.

But alas, a few minutes wasn’t enough to overcome the huge lead that the Patriots had slowly accumulated, and the game ended. And even though the New England Patriots scored 100 points to the mere 51 of Westford, they all went home winners.