Sophomore commits to UDenver for D1 lacrosse

Freud+running+across+the+field++%0ACourtesy+of+Morgan+Freud+

Freud running across the field Courtesy of Morgan Freud

Kai-Jia Yue, Social Media Manager

Most students during sophomore year worry about their grades and figuring out what they want to do with their future. However, sophomore Morgan Freud has her college career planned out already. She committed to the University of Denver in the early months of 2017.

Several colleges reached out to Freud, namely Lafayette College and Lehigh University, but she was geared up to go to UDenver. She loves the campus and the surrounding area, with a mix of a rural and urban landscape. Freud visited the team and the coaches, and she enjoyed the brief overview that she got of the campus and the team.

“I decided because I love lacrosse. It’s my passion in life. I really just wanted to make sure that I could keep playing it for as long as I want because I love being on teams.  Denver is such a beautiful place, it’s so cool. I met the coaches and they were so awesome so it was fun […] It’s so beautiful there its all mountains it’s so sunny  always,” said Freud.

The process of being scouted was complicated for Freud; it started in the summer of 2016 and ran until the beginning of 2017. It started with her coach notifying UDenver that she was interested in their college. Eventually, some college scouts came and watched her play a few games. After a phone interview, Freud was given the green light to fly to UDenver and try out for the team. She toured around campus and after a few weeks was offered to commit to their school. Although she is committed to Denver, Freud’s parents are not forcing her to go there.

Freud said, “My mom would joke about it,’ you’re only fifteen’. My parents are always like tell me any time if you aren’t interested in lacrosse, don’t […] force yourself into that. But I knew that my entire life [I wanted to play lacrosse], since I was young.”

Freud’s interest in lacrosse stemmed from watching her sister and brother play lacrosse when she was younger. Her sister was her main source for her pursuit to play lacrosse in college. Starting in 2nd grade, Freud first played lacrosse in the Westford Youth Lacrosse camp. As she got better with more practice and age, Freud started to really enjoy the feeling of playing.

“My sister played and I was always at her games and I loved all the people, so I was like I want to join[…] in 7th grade […] That was when I was actually able to catch and throw correctly.[I] was like, oh, this is really fun like I am really into this,” said Freud.

Her family is also very sports-centered. Her parents coached her from third grade to eighth grade and encouraged to fill her time with sports and activities.

“Make sure you do as many activities [as you can] to fill your time,” Freud said.

This year Freud played many sports throughout the year. Field hockey in the fall, alpine ski racing and recreational basketball in the winter, and lacrosse in the spring. Her favorite part of playing so many sports is the team aspect as well as the exhilaration of making a good play or running down the field.

“The team. No matter what team I am on, I love the family. My whole life I have been on a bunch of different teams. It’s my favorite part[… ]it’s never not fun for me […] I love making a really good play. Running real fast down the field it just feels really good when you score or a really good defensive play,” Freud said.

Juggling homework and sports all year round, Freud enjoys the challenge that it brings. She enjoys how playing lacrosse or a sport at school helps bring a new aspect to school.

“Do what you love, love what you do. Because my whole life I have loved playing lacrosse […] I like school, but I love lacrosse. Bringing whatever you have passion for to school with you makes it kind of more enjoyable because it motivates you […] to be a good all-around person,” said Freud.