Solar panels soaring toward installment

Ben Walker, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Recently, the WA Environmental Club has been pushing for solar panels to be installed on the roof of the school. Currently, the process is moving a little bit further along, as the club was able to contact a company to install the panels. With a company in mind, the club is gathering more information to send to the school committee.

According to sophomore Priyanka Maudgal, a club member, the company, Nexamp, told the club that Westford Academy was already one of their potential clients and that the school gets energy outsourced from another field of solar panels.

However, although progress has been made, it still could be a while before the panels are actually installed. In fact, the plan hasn’t been approved by the school committee just yet, which the club is currently in the works of.

As for WA, Maudgal also believes that the panels could benefit WA in many ways.

“If we got solar panels, we would be able to save like two, three times more money and the sustainability of solar panels, [as] most people know, is good, […] as high schoolers we use lots of technology, so like with the laptop  carts and the iPad carts, [those] could all be powered with [the panels],” she said.

According to Maudgal, the club decided to push for panel installation after a guest speaker inspired them.

“He talked about renewable energy and so that kind of inspired us to think: ‘Why [doesn’t] Westford Academy get solar panels?'”, Maudgal said.

Furthermore, solar panels at schools aren’t a foreign concept in Westford. In fact, the Stony Brook Middle School has solar panels on it’s roof, and according to Maudgal, the panels have been successful.

Additionally, in order to install the panels, Maudgal says that the school would have to get an RFB (similar to a permit) from the town, which would allow them to get the panels installed. Then, the school committee would have to agree to the project, since they would be handling the finances for the panels. Also, according to Maudgal, Nexamp would have to look at the school roof, to make sure that it is stable enough for panels.

If the panels end up working out, Maugdal hopes that it persuades other towns and schools to install them as well.

“I think it’s a community thing, which is really cool and it’s cool to be apart of that, […] it’s not just the school, it’s the town,” she said.

Although they are still in the middle of the process, Maudgal is still optimistic that the project will work out.

“I believe [it will work out]. Its definitely not easy, but its getting there,” she said.