Parent retiring after 35 years

Dean Parent in his office

Kai-Jia Yue, Social Media Manager

Pictures of former students and old football, softball, and baseball teams in his office represent the years he has been dean at this school. Having been a dean at WA from 1982 – 2017, Michael Parent is leaving WA after 35 years.

Parent was a special-education teacher for the first 15 years of his career at WA. During his last year as a special-ed teacher, he was approached by a former dean and was asked to consider a position as dean for the last six months of the year.

By the end of the year; however, he stayed in his position, after enjoying it immensely.

“I enjoyed my job as an administrator and that was 18 years ago […] There were really no plans to go into administration but it worked out that way and I have no regrets,” Parent said.

Having been at WA for such a long time, Parent has become a role model for many members of the faculty at WA. He helped show other deans the ropes and make them comfortable with his easy going personality. During dean Robert Ware’s first few months at WA, Parent helped him understand the school and its schematics.

“Mr. Parent was generous enough to take me under his wing and really give me the lay of the land here to understand the culture, the expectations, and was a great resource for me as a new dean coming in here, and he continues to be that for me everyday […] He has just been a tremendous colleague and friend here,” Ware said.

Although Parent has been here many years and has seen the changes in the building and faculty as the years have gone by, he still enjoys how the students have never changed.

“Starting in the 80’s, there were 200 kids in a class. We started growing to 225. I would say we [doubled] in size the last thirty years, but other than that we had great kids,” Parent said. “Times have changed, technology has changed, but I think the kids have over the years been the same good quality kids who care about others and want a good education.”

For Parent, seeing the students at graduation brings him great joy. He likes seeing the happiness on the students’ faces. The learning of 13 years all culminating in the graduation of the students gives Parent a sense of satisfaction.

“I love graduation. To see how happy our 400-plus graduates are on that special evening [after] 13 years of schooling for them culminates on the first Friday in June[…] To see the joy in the kids on that night knowing that a part of their chapter has been completed, but they have so much more to do, but that first chapter has been completed […] That’s what makes this place special,” said Parent.

Consistency has always been a major player in Parent’s life. Oddly enough, he has kept things almost the same for years ,ranging from where he lives to his work place.

“I like continuity. I’ve had one job. I’ve been married to my high school sweetheart. So there’s a lot of longevity,” Parent said.

In his time as an administrator, Parent has to make difficult choices and deliver unwanted news, but he still loves his job. For Parent, he likes helping students and when they walk into his office to talk or for help, he hopes students felt comfortable to come in and talk by keeping an open-door policy.

“Being able to help a student in need when they come to you with a problem and at the end of it them just coming in and say thank you or everything worked out. Knowing that you were able to help maybe make their life a little better[…] [I] hope that people would be able to say that Mr. Parent always had his door open and always listened,” Parent said.

Since the 80’s, class size has increased exponentially.Parent regrets how unlike before he was able to know almost more than 95% of the school, nowadays he is only capable of meeting a small group of students. He wishes he could have met with more students.

“Back then we had 800 kids and now at 1700 kids; that’s [meeting with students] very difficult to do. But I still try to do my best at knowing as many names […] to know as many as possible because I think that’s important,” Parent said.

Despite not being able to meet the whole student body, he still hopes that he was able to advocate for the students and make a difference in the school. He hopes that the students were able to talk to him and that he was visible around the school.

“To be visible, to have an open door policy […] Just to be an advocate for students to help make decisions that are in the best interests of students,” Parent said.

Principal James Antonelli commented on Parent’s commitment to WA and all that he did for the school. Antonelli admires Parent’s conduct with the kids and how he is always fair.

“He just gives a 110% all the time […] He just never cheats the students […] When he meets with kids as far as being dean of student he’s always fair, but firm […][he] loves this institution, loves the students and that he empties his bucket every single day for WA,” said Antonelli.

Personally for Antonelli, Parent has helped him through many years at WA. Along with providing support and advice to Antonelli, Parent has become a major part of the administration and a mentor to many administrators.

“Mr. Parent has been like a brother to me and when I came back to Westford Academy […] He provided me a lot of support a lot of mentorship and we have been colleagues and worked in the trenches a lot of years together. I appreciate his advice. I appreciate his incite, his consistency. He’s just a generous, good person,” Antonelli said.

Reflecting on Parent’s years here in WA., Antonelli and Ware both expressed how Parent’s humor will be missed at WA when he leaves.

“His sense of humor. That’s part of his legacy, all of his crazy sayings […] People just enjoy being around Mr.Parent. They are going to miss the character he’s been, and he’s part of the fabric that has built Westford Academy to the place that it is today because of his hard work and dedication,” said Antonelli.

As his days dwindle down at WA, Parent hopes that students continue to work hard and appreciate the school and all it stands for.

“Be well rounded, don’t be narrow minded, and involve yourself in the school. Grades are very important, but so is socialization,” Parent said.