WA Gymnastics is on a roll this season

Mahi Khandage

Freshman Olivia Donahue on beam

Chloe Morbelli, Staff Writer

On January 17, Westford Academy Girls’ Gymnastics had its first home meet of the season. The team of new freshmen and returning upperclassmen gymnasts started the season strong and has been on a roll ever since. WA totaled 135.35 to 132.2 of its competitor Acton-Boxborough for the fourth meet of the season.

This is the girls’ second win against WA’s rival, AB, this season. The scores were close, but the team pulled through and came out on top.

After the win, WA freshman Olivia Donahue said, “The meet went well, and the scores were really close. I’m glad we won.”

WA started off the meet with some impressive vaults. Freshman Mia Previte had a clean yet confident and powerful front handspring, scoring the team an 8.25. Junior Hannah Wang and Senior Joscelyn Paglia competed round-off half twists on the vault and scored an 8.3 and 8.6. This was one of the stronger events for WA during this meet.

Next, on the uneven bars, the girls brought clean and professional routines to the table. Top scorers were junior Jelina Farrell with an 8.45 and captain Kiana Brown with an 8.7. Both girls had advanced routines filled with giants and stuck landings.

The balance beam was the team’s most challenging event with a few falls. Despite the errors, the girls scored relatively high. Farrell led the team on beam, earning an 8.5.

Floor closed the meet with high scores from freshmen and upperclassmen. Farrell scored an 8.65 with grace. Previte performed with power and received an 8.8.

AB scored close behind, with a difference of 3.35 points between the two teams. The handwork and persistence of the girls earned the last few points, collecting another win.

“It’s always good to win at home especially for our first home meet,” Donahue said.