Underclassmen semi-formal to take place January 28

Varshini Ramanathan, Sports Editor

For the first time in WA’s recent history, the underclassmen will be having a semi-formal dance akin to the junior cotillion and senior prom on Saturday, January 28th. The project, founded by SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) and Project Purple, aims to provide a safe and enjoyable dance for freshmen and sophomores.

According to SADD and Project Purple advisor Melanie Jozokos, they had wanted to run a dance the previous year but were not able to due to scheduling conflicts. As such, they secured a date for this year’s dance early on in order to make the underclassmen semi-formal a reality.

In the past, SADD held similar dances that were well-received by students, according to Jozokos. When WA dances began to taper off some years ago, general interest in the concept seemed to also decline. However, Jozokos states that many are now excited for the upcoming dance thanks to its long absence. She cites both this and the underclassmen’s growing desire for a dance as reasons to begin the project.

“Years ago, SADD ran a semi-formal every year and it was a big hit. Also, we were approached by many underclassmen who asked if we could have a dance,” Jozokos said.

Seniors Abby Benting and Amanda Carrey as well as sophomores Isabelle Vernalia and Ericcson Gauthier, who are the officers of SADD and Project Purple, have been helping organize and run the dance this year. The student-run organization put up posters and made a video that has been airing on the announcements for the past week.

Vernalia, the Publicity Officer, believes that the biggest setback in the process of organizing the dance was encouraging initial interest in the dance. She explained that although ticket sales were slow at first, they had spiked by this past Friday:

“Sales were a bit rusty at first, but it got better by today,” Vernalia said.

Additionally, the club is currently deciding on concessions and decorations for the dance now that attendance is confirmed.

Although far from the first Westford Academy dance, it is the first one strictly for underclassmen. As such, Jozokos feels that the students may not know what to expect, but she is confident that those who attend will enjoy themselves. Since reception and attendance were both high in past years, things are looking up for another such event, Jozokos said.

Tickets will be on sale during midterms this week. Those with questions can ask Jozokos in room 121 or fellow adviser Laurie Rybicki in room 113.