Gaming Club continues with new adviser

Gaming Club members at a meeting

Ben Walker, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Every Thursday, students from all grades head to room 222 for the weekly meeting of the Gaming Club. Headed by adviser Jonathan Geary, the club is meant for students to come in every week to play any games they want to play.

According to Geary, the club members tend to come every week with a plan as to what they want to play. Among the games that some of the students play are card games such as, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic: The Gathering. However, Geary says that they also may bring in chess boards, or bring in miniature figures so they can play different types of games, such as War Hammer or Dust.

“It’s just about them having a place to come and hang and have fun,” Geary said.  

Furthermore, although the students can play any game they want, Geary says they almost always play group games. Students may break into groups of their own throughout the room so each students can play any game they wish to play.

“They all do their own little thing, but they’re all having fun and playing together […],” Geary said.

Also, according to Geary, the club started a few years ago with chemistry teacher Jeff Bucchianeri as the adviser. It was formed by students who wanted to meet and hangout with other people who liked to play the same games as them.

Additionally, Geary says that enjoys seeing how passionate the students are about their games and that they come in ready to play their games.

“[The students] come in ready to play their game and want to start as soon as the bell rings at the end of the day, and are here right up until the late bus. […] The biggest thing about game club is that [the students] have fun,” he said.

Most days, the club has a regular attendance of about twenty students, according to Geary. However, sometimes it can be slightly larger, as it fluctuates from week to week.

Currently, the club has a Google Classroom page for the standing members Although, if students are interested and have payed their activity fee, Geary says more members can be accepted.

“We enjoy having people come and hang out, and want to learn about new games, and just have fun,” he said.

Gaming Club meets after school on Thursdays in room 222.