Antonelli announces early release due to hockey game

Andrew Friel, Co-Editor in Chief

Following the dismissal of students on Tuesday, principal Jim Antonelli sent out an email to the faculty stating that on Monday January 9th, students will be released a bit early day from Westford Academy. The release is in order to facilitate student attendance at the girls’ hockey game vs Acton Boxborough being hosted at Fenway Park in Boston.

According to the email obtained by the Ghostwriter, WA will be released at 1:15 pm, and the faculty meeting has been cancelled in order to allow students and faculty to arrive at the game, which begins at 2:30pm at Fenway. Furthermore, an abridged schedule has been released by Antonelli for the special day. The schedule reads as follows:

E Block 7:35-8:31
F Block 8:35-9:26
G Block 9:30-10:21
A Block 10:21-12:05
B Block 12:09-12:40
C Block 12:44-1:15– dismissal
The cost of a ticket for students is $15 dollars and can be purchased from Athletic Director Dan Twomey in the main office.
Fan buses will be run to transport students to Boston to watch the game, according to Antonelli. These buses will depart around 1:20pm, right after dismissal.
“This is a great opportunity for our community to demonstrate some school spirit.  It is also a “thank you” to our student-body for a great fall and a little reprieve before the Mid-Year Exams,” Antonelli said in the email.
Antonelli also noted the recent loss of life at AB, and noted how this game may create more healing for both communities.
“Finally, we are playing Acton Boxboro that afternoon.  AB has suffered the loss of two students this school year.  Cheering for both teams that afternoon will be good for the soul!” Antonelli said in the email.
Overall, the goal of the event and the early dismissal is to bring the school together during an event that is rather infrequent.
“This is a special event.  I would like for our school community to support our girls. It is an opportunity for some fun during a busy school year and these types of events do not come around often.  I hope the faculty and our student body will embrace the event,” Antonelli said.