Boy’s Swimming Loses to Acton- Boxborough 99-87

Boys Swimming Loses to Acton- Boxborough 99-87

Quinn Dolan, Staff Writer

On December 22nd, the boy’s swimming team warmed up to face Acton- Boxborough in a heated meet. WA lost quite a few races in the beginning and in the start of the 2nd half, but ended strong with an excellent relay.

The meet started with a medley, meaning everyone racing changed the stroke each lap. WA and AB were neck and neck, but the colonials took 1st place. Throughout the first half, the races were a close call.

Between the two halves, a diving event took place. WA earned as high as 7s in the diving, difficulties as high as to 1.2. Acton-Boxborough and Westford Academy took turns diving into the shallow pool with impressive dives including pike and twisting dives. Entrances into the water were one of Acton-Boxborough’s specialties, which helped boost their scores in this event and received high praise from the judges.

To start the second half, Acton-Boxborough took the win for butterfly. Soon after WA’s loss, the second race began, this time a freestyle race. Freshman Ben Morey took first place, and impressed many with a fast time. WA also took 3rd and 4th places during the swim.

The race of the game came right after, also freestyle. Senior Jason Jung, the star of the team, lead the swimmers by more than half a lap, taking 1st place by a landslide in the 1000 meter race. His performance impressed the scorers and the audience.

WA  in the backstroke race, 2 of the home team members lead the race. Acton- Boxborough lagged behind them, and Westford Academy took 1st and 2nd places for themselves.

Said the announcer Barrett Mcarthy, “Teams of this caliber compete extremely well, and the times were excellent!”

Even if WA had excellent swims and times, we still lost 99-87. This is the first loss of their undefeated season

Mcarthy says of the teams, “When teams are this good, there is no winners of losers.”