Girls’ Volleyball wins over South Worcester

Junior Makena Waterhouse setting the ball. Photo credits – Dinesh Shantakumar

Kai-Jia Yue, Social Media Manager

On Thursday, November 3, WA swept 3 sets straight in the first playoff game of the season, winning with a final score of 3- 0. The team maintained a comfortable point lead all throughout the game, not letting South Worcester break through during the first 2 sets of the game.

The first set started off with WA getting the first point. They kept a strong lead of around 9 points. As the game progressed, South Worcester did not threaten to close that wide margin. Senior Julia Libby had constant and well performed serves through the entire first set. Senior Angela Alibrandi had powerful hits and scored a few points. The set ended with a score of  24 – 12, with WA in the lead.

Sophomore Elise Sepe serving.
Sophomore Elise Sepe serving.  Photo credits – Dinesh Shantakumar

The second set was similar to the first, but South Worcester had closed the point gap by a few points. However, WA still stayed 5-6 points ahead. Alibrandi kept up with her good blocking, and junior Julia Kacherian had great jump top-spin serves that were very consistent throughout the set. Senior Samantha Walter defended strongly and saved WA from South Worcester’s hits during a few dangerous situations. Ending the set with a score of 25 -12, WA maintained their lead.

During the third and final set, SW scored the first point and made WA work to keep up the lead they had enjoyed during the first two sets.

For the first time during this game, SW pulled ahead of WA with a score of 4-3, WA down 1 point. Eventually WA pulled ahead with 3 points of their own, finally widening the point gap they maintained throughout the first two sets.

Not soon after, WA fumbled, allowing SW to score 2 points. This brought the score to 11 – 8, with WA still in the lead. Despite the rough start at the beginning of the set, WA ended the game with the score 25 – 18.

Coach Eang, despite the win and tournament advancement, was not pleased with the girl’s performance today.

“Although we came out with a win. I am not happy with the way we played. We played sub level; we played to their level. We should be pounding the balls hard. We should be leading by 20 points,” stated Eang.