Cabaret to be held June 9th

The+flyer+hung+up+around+the+school+for+rehearsals+for+any+interested+students.+

The flyer hung up around the school for rehearsals for any interested students.

Niharika Kaushik, Staff Writer

Senior Claire Shea will host a free cabaret show in the WA theater on June 9th to raise money for the organization “Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS”. The show is set to include two acts of singing performances of Broadway show tunes.

At the end of the event, there will be a raffle for an item that is signed off by Broadway actress, Alice Ripley, who is known for her role in the Broadway musicals “Next to Normal” and “Side Show”.

The event will also collect donations for the “Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS” organization. 

Shea is producing this event as part of her senior project, a common tradition for seniors of WATA (WA Theater Arts). In preparation for this performance, she has taught various students different songs, with help from Matt Gagnon, who taught them piano.

Shea has been working hard with participants, casting songs for students and rehearsing with them.

Shea is excited to host this event and eager to help the cause.  

“The whole goal is to raise as much money for Equity as I can […] I really want to make a difference and an impact in that foundation […] I want them to be able to do the research […] that would be amazing,” Shea said.

In addition to wanting to make a difference, Shea sees this as a personal milestone, as a way to learn something about herself.

“I hope that it’s a successful event, because I want to be able to say I can organize something like that.” Shea said. “It teaches me  how to organize an event and that if I have to do it again, I will be able to.”