One More Brick

By Robert Gilman

My ears are still ringing after the loudest and most intense nightclub concert I’ve been to.

On Sunday, October 4th the One More Brick Tour came to Boston. The tour was headlined by Senses Fail along with A Skylit Drive, the opening acts were FACT and Closure in Moscow. The venue was Harper’s Ferry, which is a relatively small nightclub. The venue size allowed for a very personal performance.

The concert started with FACT, an emerging Japanese rock band with a small underground following. They opened with their only well known U.S. song “Fact of Life”, this was followed by “Purple Eyes” and “Los Angeles” from their self titled album. All of these songs featured shredding guitar solos, heavy bass riffs, and fast paced drumming, topped off with hardcore vocals.

This is their first tour in the United States and they received a warm welcome. For an opening act, FACT was a great band with incredible stage energy. They played their hearts out and spoke with fans after the show.

Next came the second opening act, Closure in Moscow. Closure in Moscow is an Australian alternative rock band which has toured twice in the US.  The transition time between FACT and Closure in Moscow was very long, about thirty minutes. When Closure finally got on the stage, they had technical difficulties, which led to an even longer wait.

Finally, Closure in Moscow began their set, sadly it was lackluster, and the guitarists made simple mistakes, the band even apologized for the off night. During the performance, many fans simply went over to the merchandise tables to chat with members of FACT and buy band merchandise.

Finally, one of the main acts, A Skylit Drive came to the stage. A Skylit Drive is a popular post-hardcore band, they are from Hollywood and started their band in high school, and they were signed to a record company relatively quickly. After a ten minute transition A Skylit Drive came out screaming through with one of their most popular songs, “Wires and the Concept of Breathing” from the album of the same name. All throughout the song, screaming fan-girls had their hands in the air.

A Skylit Drive had great stage energy and used the stage to its fullest potential, jumping and dancing. The performance was very charismatic. They received the greatest crowd reaction out of all of the bands; fans sang along with their slower songs and rocked out to their fast paced shredding.

A Skylit Drive performed for almost an hour through an eleven song set. Near the end of the final song, the singer jumped into the crowd, still screaming, and crowd surfed. The band later sat at the merchandise tables and signed autographs and chatted with satisfied fans.

Next, Senses Fail, the final act, set up on the stage. The fan’s screams were deafening. The band opened with “Calling All Cars” and the mosh pit started. Fans knocked each other around and pushed each other back and forth, you could feel the intensity. Senses fail followed up with “Can’t be Saved” from the album Still Searching.

In between sets, the lead singer made it clear that he is a Yankee’s fan, and playfully jeered the crowd. He was very talkative in between sets, which was annoying to say the least, but it was overshadowed by the band’s amazing performance. The band brought the crowd to life, fists were pumping in the air and everyone sang along to the band’s slower songs. Senses Fail, like A Skylit Drive, also had strong stage energy. It reflected in the fans.

Overall, this concert was an amazing experience; it was very intense and energetic. All of the bands contributed to the show in their own way, some for the better and some for the worse. The sound of the instruments themselves came out as clear as a whistle, the sound system was great, and aside from Closure in Moscow, there were no technical problems. This concert’s also opened my eyes to a band I would have otherwise never heard, FACT. I recommend this tour to anyone who’s interested in alternative, rock, or metal music.

View Comments (3)