New English class to allow creativity

By Neha Kumar

This year as students pored over course selection sheets for next year’s schedules, the list probably looked familiar, except for a few additions. Under the bold heading “English Electives,” a third class was added to the relatively small list.

Next year, approximately fifty students will be taking Creative Writing. This is the only new class being offered at Westford Academy next year, and both students and faculty are excited for its debut.

The idea for the course was a collaborative effort by the English department. It will add variety to the basic English 9-12 required classes and diversify the department’s offerings.

Mr. Humphrey will be teaching this elective next year, and is looking forward to having two full classes.

Students have been anticipating and requesting a creative writing course for over a year now. Now that it has been added, many students have complained to their guidance counselors that they cannot take it because it conflicts with their other classes.

As Guidance Chair Mr. Lucey says, “This course is absolutely the result of student interest.”

Humphrey says the curriculum is still a work in progress, but hopes to “not only write across various genres like poetry and short stories, but also to have interaction between students as they give each other input and critiques during the creative process.”

He says that this will lead to better stories and ideas, as well as give students an idea of how all the literary works they read in class were created.

“Someone didn’t just sit down at a computer and type out a short story all at once,” Humphrey explains. “It’s a longer, more complex process.”

This class will give students an insight into the work, revision, and thought that goes into creative writing, while also giving them an opportunity to tap into their imaginations and discover their creative voices.