Cinco de Mayo Fiesta Foods

Morgan Rose, Staff Writer

Many students at Westford Academy may choose to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, May 5th, by heading to the local Chipotle or making their own Mexican-inspired food. If inspiration is absent but the urge to celebrate is present, here are some fun, simple Mexican-American dishes to try out.

Cinco de Mayo is a holiday often mistaken as Mexico’s Independence day. Really, it marks the anniversary of Mexico’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. It is celebrated as a minor holiday in Mexico. In America, however, Cinco de Mayo has transformed into a celebration of Mexican culture and history. Here are some delicious, authentic recipes you could make on Cinco de Mayo to celebrate Mexican food and lifestyle.

First, here is a recipe for bright, cheesy queso with a kick. This dish is perfect for a pre-dinner appetizer and is best served with salty tortilla chips.

Ingredients:

2/3 pint grape tomatoes

2 teaspoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons red pepper flakes

6 oz cream cheese (room temperature)

3 oz queso fresco (similar to feta, but more crumbly and less salty), grated

4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded

4 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded (you can look for a Mexican cheese blend at the store, it will have these kinds of cheese included)

1 teaspoon garlic, minced

1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro

1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cumin

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons dried cilantro

1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce

salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400º.
  2. Put tomatoes in a small, oven-safe baking dish (a pie plate, for example). Sprinkle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven for about 25 minutes, or until bursting. Leave the oven on.
  3. In another oven-safe baking dish, mix the cream cheese with the cheeses. Save a small amount of cheese to sprinkle on the top of the finished queso. If the cream cheese is not soft enough to mix well, microwave the mixture for about 30 seconds.
  4. Mix in the garlic, spices, and herbs. This part is mostly to taste; the measurements listed above are simply guidelines. Mix in the tomatoes once they have cooled for about 5 minutes.
  5. Smooth out the top of the queso and sprinkle with leftover cheese. Cover the dish and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Then bake in the oven for 11-14 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly. Serve immediately with chips.

Next, quench your thirst with a fancy-but-easy frozen strawberry mango virgin margarita. These fit in with the dinner as an appetizer, but they can be served at any time. This recipe makes four servings (if served in a margarita glass; if not, it will make about two servings).

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries

1 1/2 cups frozen mango

2 cups cooled lime-infused simple syrup (2 cups water and 2 cups white sugar, then bring to a boil. Take off heat and drop peel from 1/2 lime in)

1/4 cup lime juice

3 tablespoons white sugar, a lime, and a few strawberries to garnish

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
  2. (Optional) Take a margarita glass and a lime wedge. Run the lime wedge around the rim of the glass and dip the glass in sugar. Spear the lime wedge and a strawberry with a toothpick and place in glass.

Finally, these bright, flavorful fish tacos with corn slaw and avocado cream sauce will beautifully complete the Mexican-inspired meal. This recipe is inspired by one from Vindulge.com.

Ingredients:

For the fish marinade:

1 pound halibut

2 cloves of garlic, finely diced

2 tablespoons shallot, diced

1 teaspoon jalapeño, finely diced

1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped

juice of 1/2 lemon

juice of 1/2 lime

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Place all ingredients in a large freezer bag and mix lightly. Chill in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes. When everything else is made, take fish out of marinade. Preheat a charcoal grill and cook the fish over direct heat for about 5 minutes on the first side, or until you can pick up the fish without it sticking. Cook on the other side for 3-5 minutes, or until white all the way through while still moist.

For the corn slaw:

3 ears of corn, boiled and cut off cob

1 head of red cabbage, chopped

1/2 sweet onion, chopped

1 tablespoon jalapeño, finely diced

juice from 1/2 a lime

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Top with more cilantro.

For the avocado cream sauce:

1/2 avocado

1/2 cup Greek yogurt (1 container of single-serving Greek yogurt, 5.3 oz)

juice of 1 lime

1/4 cup cilantro

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar

salt and pepper, to taste

1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce

Place all ingredients (omitting tabasco sauce) in a food processor. Pulse until everything is well combined and creamy. Add the tabasco sauce and mix with a spoon. Taste to adjust seasonings.

Assemble the tacos however you wish. Corn tortillas compliment the flavors well, as opposed to flour tortillas. Recommended toppings along with the corn slaw and avocado cream sauce are lime juice, avocado slices, queso fresco, cheddar cheese, cilantro, a splash of tabasco sauce, and shredded lettuce.

Lastly, round out your Cinco de Mayo meal with a multi-colored, sweet-and-sour fruit salad. This recipe does not have to be limited to the fruits suggested; mix and match using whatever items you have on hand.

Ingredients:

1/4 a watermelon, cubed

1 6 oz. package of blueberries

juice of 1/2 a lime

6-8 sprigs of mint leaves

Directions:

1. Pull the mint leaves of the stem and rip or chop them until only small pieces remain.
  2. Combine the fruit, lime juice, and mint leaves in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
  3. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to mix.

Cinco de Mayo is an important holiday to celebrate in America; it acknowledges our diverse population and appreciates the different culture. These recipes combine classic Mexican flavors like cilantro, lime, and spice to capture Mexico’s delicious food, and celebrate their differences from America’s food. Feliz Cinco de Mayo!