Girls’ Freshmen and JV defeat Rec. All Stars

Girls’ Freshmen and Junior Varsity teams defeated the Girls’ Rec All Stars on Friday, March 18th during the annual, “An Evening of Basketball”. This event consisted of Freshmen and Junior Varsity teams going head to head with the Rec. Ball All Stars. Every year, the teams compete in an evening of basketball and have fun. This event has been going on for the past 23 years and promotes Westford basketball, as the money raised is given to the program. 

There were a total of 4 games that made up the event. The Freshmen and Junior Varsity Girls’ teams were both victorious against the All Stars while the Boys’ teams were defeated. WA fans cheered on the Ghosts throughout the games. 

The event opened up with the WA Freshmen Girls’ team overcoming the Girls’ Rec. Ball All stars. The Ghosts won the first period with a score of 27-15. They continued their streak and concluded the game with a satisfactory win, 37-25.

Following the girls, the boys made their way to the court. Unfortunately, the Boys’ Rec. Ball All Stars defeated the WA Boys’ Freshmen team. The first half started out rough for the Ghosts, as the All Stars were making baskets quickly. The first period ended with a score of 45-20, in favor of the All Stars. The second period, however; went slightly better for the Ghosts but they were not able to make a comeback. The game ended with a final score of 99-50.

With the Freshmen games finished, the Junior Varsity players got their chance to play. The first JV game was the Girls’ Rec. All Star Team going head to head with WA Girls’ Junior Varsity. The Ghosts pulled another win in this game, with WA winning after the first half with a score of 18-11, and finishing the game 41-32.

The event concluded with the Boys’ Rec. All Star Team winning against WA Boys’ Junior Varsity in the final few seconds of the game. The game was close throughout, with the first half ending with a score of 15-13, in favor of the Ghosts. The last couple minutes got intense for the players with the Ghosts leading by 4 points. When a 3-pointer was made by one of the All Stars, that resulted in the Ghosts leading by just one. With just about 10 seconds left in the game, another one of the All Stars made a shot for 2 points. The game ended with a score of 60-59.

All the players and fans enjoyed the event. It allowed for a positive end of the season for the teams with some friendly competition.