5 things you should know about Chromebooks

Photographer:Alvin Trusty

Freshmen next year will have Google Chromebooks (Photo via: Creative Commons)

Ben Walker, Sports Editor

With the recent approval of the “One to World” program, next year’s freshmen will receive Google Chromebooks, which they will carry with them for their entire four years at WA. Compared to MacBooks and iPads, Chromebooks aren’t usually as well known since they have not been around that long.

Here are 5 things you should know about Google Chromebooks:

1. A Chromebook comes with a search key rather than a caps lock key

The search key, which is on current WA Chromebooks, can serve as a helpful tool. For example, if students are writing a paper or doing research, they can use the search key to look for more information. The key doesn’t force students to open a new tab, in fact it opens a smaller window for them to use.

2. Chromebooks require an extremely strong internet connection

Without a sufficient Wi-Fi connection, Chromebooks will not work all that well. With many WA students on the Wi-Fi each day, it may be difficult for the Chromebooks to work to their full potential. However, there are a few Google apps that will work without a strong connection, such as Gmail and Google Drive.

3. Each Chromebook contains about 16GB of storage  

To some, this amount may not seem like all that much, but in the long run, it will be more than enough. Each device isn’t designed to store large amounts of media. 16 GB is a solid amount of storage, especially for a laptop device. If you are ever in need of more storage, there are some Chromebooks that offer an SD that can expand storage space.

4. Chromebooks have solid battery life

In a recent test done by Laptopmag, of the tested Chromebooks there was an average of 9 hours and 59 minutes battery life. This amount of time is usually pretty good for a laptop, however; much of the battery life is drained by web surfing over Wi-Fi. Therefore, be sure to use your device wisely, as your battery life could drop significantly over time.

5. Chromebooks sign in to your Google accounts from the computer login window. 

When you first sign in to the Chromebook, students are told to sign in from their Google accounts. This sign in can be from your school directory, or your own personal account. Once you login, you will be automatically signed into Drive, Gmail, or other Google accounts.