Teen Center back to help Matt Roberge

The teen center will help raise money for Matt Roberge, who is currently battling leukemia.

Ben Walker, Sports Editor

To help raise money for sophomore Matt Roberge and his family as he battles leukemia, the student council at WA has decided to hold a “Throwback Teen Center” on Friday, January 29th from 7-11 pm and is open to all students. As many remember, this event was also held last year to help wellness teacher Meredith Kehaias, who had recently lost her husband.

According to Dean Betsy Murphy, students will donate a minimum of five dollars at the door on the night of the teen center. All of the proceeds will then be given to the Matt Roberge Fund, a fund that will support the added medical expenses that the family now faces.

Murphy says that the teen center was picked as the form of fundraiser based on last year’s successes.

“I think that the main thing is last year’s [teen center] was successful. Students had a great time and we just know that we can build on it, we can get a lot of people here. I think the entire sophomore class is worried about Matt and [they want] to support him,” said Murphy.

Like past middle school teen centers, there will be many activities available to students at the event. These include, basketball, and ping-pong in the main gym, and possibly dodgeball or floor hockey in the auxiliary gym.

Also, the chorus room will be open for open-mic and karaoke, which will be run by Project Purple. The yoga rooms will also be open, where the WA Smash Club offer students to play Mario Brothers video games. Finally, the cafeteria will be open, and will have a DJ to play music.

Murphy also added that by paying their admission fee, students will be allowed to view WATA’s presentation of “Proof”.

“The five dollar ticket will get [students] into the show. Mr. Towers and the theater arts program are going to allow us to have people to go into the show, without paying for the show. So, it’s all going to fall under one umbrella,” said Murphy.

Sophomore class treasurer, Param Talwalkar, says that he and other class officers wanted to put something together for Matt to show that they are thinking about him and help to raise money for him.

“We really think that we should do something to benefit him. […] As a part of our class, he deserves our attention and our willingness to help. So this “Throwback Teen Center” is a really fun way to gather funds to donate to him,” said Talwalkar.