WATA experiences stage fright

Members+of+WATA+about+to+go+on+stage+before+their+production+of+Young+Frankenstein.+

Anthony Cammalleri

Members of WATA about to go on stage before their production of Young Frankenstein.

Shefali Tamaskar, Staff Writer

Whether it’s a school presentation or performing on stage, many have experienced stage fright. The Westford Academy Theater Arts program has been known to have superb productions where the actors never seem to disappoint. One of the main reasons these performances do so well is because all of the performers are able to deal with their stage fright.

Michael Towers, the Elements of Theater, Acting I, II & III, Directing I & II, and Playwriting teacher at Westford Academy had much to say regarding stage fright.

“There’s a variety of factors that contribute to stage fright,” Towers said. “For me, I would never be afraid to perform in front of someone that I knew or that knew me, whereas for others, they may be afraid to perform in front of people who knew them and would be significantly more confident in front of an anonymous audience.”

Towers noted that he believes everyone has stage fright because everyone has triggers that enable their stage fright. No matter how much a person may have prepared, once they become conscious of the audience’s judgement, they can experience stage fright.

“With high school aged people, since we are so hyper-conscious of judgement, that’s why stage fright is so prominent,” said Towers.

In terms of overcoming stage fright, Towers explained what he does with his students to instill confidence within them so they can perform without stage fright.

According to Towers, it is important to become desensitized to the potential criticism, and the only way to achieve that is with repetition. If a person is confident with their work and capabilities, it will be a lot easier to deal with stage fright.

Junior Emily Trantanella has being acting ever since she was in kindergarten. Because she has being performing for so long, she has many techniques which she often uses to overcome stage fright.

“I will do breathing or maybe listen to music that fits the show […] and just really trying to stay calm is what’s important,” said Trantanella.

Trantanella also explained that the preparation the actors do as a group depends on the type of show. However, no matter what kind of show it is, they always do physical and vocal warmups.

Towers feels that the most important trait a performer can have in order to perform on stage in front of a large audience is confidence.

“It all comes down to confidence, knowledge of self, knowledge of value, knowledge of art and confidence in that art,” said Towers.

For someone who wants to participate in the theater program but is nervous to perform in front of tons of people, Towers’ advice is to begin by getting exposure to the program by either being an audience member or joining the backstage crew. This exposure will make a person more comfortable being a part of theater program. Getting exposure demystifies the art of performing, so it will be easier to eventually get on stage.

WATA’s main stage production of “Proof” will begin performances on January 28th.