Girls’ hockey dominates Weston

WA+prepares+for+a+face-off.+

WA prepares for a face-off.

Patrick Coffey, Staff Writer

On Saturday, December 19th, Girls’ Varsity Hockey played a small hybrid team of girls from both Weston and Wayland that was rather inexperienced. Westford Academy took full advantage of this game’s opportunities and dominated the opposing team with a final score of 10-1.

The Grey Ghosts started off strong and didn’t let up the entire game. Junior forward Cat Mahanna scored an unassisted goal within the first 44 seconds of the game. Just 3 minutes later, freshman forward Kayleigh Butler scored after a pass by sophomore defenseman Kerri Bolivar. 2 minutes later, Mahanna found the back of the net for the second time with assists by senior forward Emily Earl and  sophomore defenseman Taylor Pacifico.

In just under 6 minutes, Westford Academy found itself all ready with a commanding 3-0 lead. The Ghosts continued to pile it on leading 5-0 at the end of the first period.

Senior defensemen Ali Benedict took advantage of an errant pass and scored unassisted to start the second period. The Ghosts would eventually further their lead by the end of the period with 3 more goals, making the score 7-0.

Senior forwards Elizabeth Ellis and Alayna Serpa got in on the action, scoring Westford’s 8th and 9th goals of the game.

Though WA’s upperclassmen players scored a total of 5 goals, it was freshman forward Brianna Bailey who stole the show. Bailey was able to score a hat trick as she was able to find the back of the net in all three periods.

Head Coach Bob Ware was pleased with his team’s offensive output.

“We maintained possession, moved the puck, and found the back of the net,” said Ware.

The Grey Ghosts have done an exceptional job on offensive play and being unselfish thus far through the season. Coming off of their 9-5 win over Waltham, the Ghosts packed even more offense into this game. They scored 10 goals from 7 different players with 9 assists from 9 different players.

The defense also played outstanding throughout the game. The Ghosts defense was lead by junior goalie Alyssa Lopez who had a shutout until Weston/Wayland scored with under a minute to play. Overall, Westford’s defense was stellar as they didn’t allow a goal until the final minute of the game and were able to kill off three penalties with ease.

The Ghosts got contributions from everyone in this game on both ends of the ice and were rewarded with a 10-1 win, their second victory of the season.

“The best thing about today was that we got everyone on the ice,” said Ware. “We got a lot of girls their first goals or their first ice time.”

Westford Academy will work to continue its success when they travel to play Boston Latin on Wednesday.