44th annual Country Music Association Awards

Hosts Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley

By Kasey Cohan

On November 10th, the Country Music Association held its 44th annual CMA Awards at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.

Last year, Taylor Swift took the night, winning 4 awards. 20-year-old Swift won Entertainer of the year, Female vocalist, Album of the year (for her album Fearless), and Music video of the year (for her video to “You Belong With Me”).

Another stand out group of the night was Lady Antebellum. After winning best new group in 2008 the group won Vocal group and Single of the year for “I Run To You”. Sugarland was awarded their third consecutive Vocal Duo of the year. In their speech they thanked 14 time Vocal Duo winners Brooks & Dunn who announced their disbanding in 2010.

The hosts of the show this year were Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood. Nominees for the coveted Entertainer of the year included Lady Antebellum, Miranda Lambert, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and the Zac Brown Band. Nominees for female vocalist were Miranda Lambert, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Taylor Swift, and Underwood. The nominees for New Artist, another important award, included Luke Bryan, Easton Corbin, Jerrod Niemann, Chris Young, and the Zac Brown Band. Male vocalist nominees included Dierks Bentley, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, George Strait, and Keith Urban.

The expected standouts of the night were host Underwood and Swift. However, it turned out being Miranda Lambert, who took 4 awards total. She won Song of the year and Music video of the year for “House That Built Me”, Female vocalist of the year, and Album of the year for “Revolution”.

Lady Antebellum was awarded Vocal group of the year and Single of the year.

Swift did not receive any awards this year. Her most recent album, Speak Now came out on October 25th of this fall, which was too recent for the Association to take into consideration for any awards. She did however perform a song from the album, “Back To December”. The set for the performance left most speechless, as she was seemingly walking down a deserted back street with light snow falling as it would in December. Swift didn’t fail to keep her title of one of the nights standouts even without any awards.

The 2010 Country Music Association Awards were awarded to Zac Brown Band for New artist of the year, Lady Antebellum for Vocal group of the year and Single of the year for “Need You Now”. Entertainer of the year went to Brad Paisley.

http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/2010/11/10/live-blog-2010-cma-awards/