Tennis serves up successful season

By Theresa Yuan

These past few months have been one of the Girl’s Tennis team’s most successful seasons. From the individual tournaments to matches with the whole team, they have been unrivaled to say the least.

As a group, the team won many matches and qualified for the State Tournament. The State Tournament started the week of Memorial Day. The schedule is still developing.

All in all, the team won sixteen out of eighteen matches.

For the individuals tournaments, they split into pairs and all entered separately.

Eileen Liu and Jocelyn Lund-Wilde have since won the North Sectional Championships. In order to gain this title, they played against Newton South in Natick’s indoor courts. The last WA doubles team to win North Sectionals was in 1992, so this is a very big achievement.

The State Semi-Finals will be on June 13th, against the West Sectional champions. The final matches will take place later that day.

Eileen Liu, captain of the girl’s varsity tennis team, talked about the great progress the team has made this season. They struggled with the loss of one of the best singles players, Abby McKeon, in the beginning of the season, but were able to adjust.

Liu, who started playing tennis in third grade with her dad, has been actively involved in tennis since middle school. She played in many tennis tournaments in middle school.

Liu says one of the best things about being a part of the team is getting to be with teammates.

“Everyone’s so supportive of one another and cheers one another on during matches. Apart from that, I also enjoy the competitive thrill of matches and the mental aspect of the sport,” Liu said.

As they continue their tournament matches through June, the girls have the support of the entire WA community.