HOSA honors Matt Roberge with blood drive

The teen center will help raise money for Matt Roberge, who is currently battling leukemia.

Alisha Sabnis, Staff Writer

Every year at WA, HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America), organizes 1-2 blood drives, which is regarded by the Red Cross as an excellent collection program. The first drive of the year will take place on December 8th, and HOSA dedicated the event to sophomore, Matt Roberge, who was diagnosed with Leukemia earlier this year. Along with HOSA, the two advisors of the blood drive are Diana Bernstein and Wayne Kotary.

Senior Meghana Yellanki is this year’s blood drive coordinator, and was made responsible through an election by the members of HOSA. By working diligently and communicating with the Red Cross and school, she is ensuring that the blood drive is a success.

“Fortunately, we have had a lot of donors sign up for the blood drive this semester and have doubled our goal for volunteers, WA HOSA and the Red Cross are extremely grateful that so many people are contributing for such a great cause, especially after Matt got diagnosed with Leukemia. We hope he has a speedy recovery and our thoughts are with him and his family,” said Yellanki.

What makes this blood drive different is that it is dedicated to sophomore, Roberge. His peers at WA want to show their support while Roberge fights the cancer at Massachusetts General Hospital.

But even though the blood donated may not directly support their classmate, organizers of the event want students to know that they are making a difference.

There are about 60 donors that are signed up, almost all being students, and more sign ups are coming in. HOSA is projected to meet and possibly exceed their goal of 35 pints of blood donated.

“I’m really glad I was able to aid in the blood drive efforts this year. It’s an incredible cause and an awesome opportunity for HOSA to get involved and make a difference in the community,” said junior, Anisha Purohit, vice president of HOSA.

“Being part of the Blood Drive Committee last and this year, I can say that organizing such an event is really fulfilling, since we’re making sure things go smoothly at such an important and life-saving event. After all, this is real stuff. You can donate your own blood to make a difference in someone else’s. Your blood can mean the difference between life and death for someone else. This very fact makes organizing our blood drive so paramount, and it is an honor to make a difference in this way,” said sophomore Victoria Donescue, a member of HOSA.

The next blood drive will take place on March 16th.