Inaugural Paluri Fundraiser to be held at WA

An example of food that may be served at the event.

Andrew Friel, Managing Editor

On Saturday October 24th, Westford Academy will host the First Annual Rajiv Paluri International Night at 6pm in the WA cafeteria. The event will consist of a collection of funds and a variety of international dishes, as well as the sampling of these dishes in honor of Rajiv Paluri.

Paluri, as most in Westford will remember, was killed in a tragic skiing accident at Nashoba Valley Ski Area. He was a student a Blanchard Middle School in Westford. According to the Westford Academy website, Paluri enjoyed food, the fall season, as well as football. To recognize Paluri’s love for football, there was a moment of remembrance at the football game on Friday. However, the administration of Westford Academy wanted to do something special to honor his love for food and the fall.

“I met with Mr. Paluri and felt an immediate connect with him. Rajiv loved the fall, he was passionate about sports and he loved different foods.  I thought [International night] might be a nice way to remember Rajiv. His parents and sister agreed,” said Principal James Antonelli.

For the event, residents are being encouraged to bring dishes from all around the world to be sampled in the cafeteria. Those who will donate dishes are being asked to bring those dishes to WA by 5pm and then anyone who would like to sample is being welcomed back at 6pm to sample all the dishes and meet the Paluri family. Hilary Langille, from the front office staff, will be coordinating the dishes for the event. Antonelli himself will be offering his famous apple crisp and apple cider.

According to Antonelli, the sampling of dishes will not be the only way people will be able to honor Paluri’s life on Saturday.

“At the event, people will have an opportunity to speak about Rajiv.  It will be a very emotional night,” said Antonelli.

In addition to the dishes being offered by residents and classmates, there will also be five dollars collected at the door as people walk into the event. These funds will benefit the Rajiv Paluri Scholarship. This money will be apart of the WA Trustees scholarship program each year, which gives out $7500 in scholarships each year.

Besides this event and the moment of silence at the football game, there was a dedication of a courtyard at Blanchard Middle School for Paluri, according to Antonelli.

“My goal was to not let the year go by without some kind of event to honor Rajiv.  I never met Rajiv, but I have heard he was an amazing young man.  I hope to learn more about him on Saturday night,” said Antonelli.