Señor St. Denis comes to WA

St. Denis stands in front of the Spanish flag in his classroom.

Morgan Rose and Brendon Wong

Señor Scott St. Denis, a new Spanish teacher at Westford Academy, has travelled all over America.

As a child, he travelled frequently around New England. He attended Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York, where he majored in Spanish and secondary education. In his junior year, he studied abroad in Madrid where his love for Spanish grew as he learned to speak it fluently.

St. Denis began his teaching career in Hawaii where school is more relaxed.

“The motivation of the students is different [in New England]. In Hawaii, as you could imagine, the students are more laid back. It’s tough to get them started when they’re coming into the classroom with surfboards,” said St. Denis with a laugh.

After a year, he moved to Long Island and remained there for eleven years for the countless options of activities, the proximity to New York City, and the place he met his wife.

Recently, he and his family moved to New Hampshire to provide his two young children with a better education. He loves how the students at Westford Academy are respectful and willing to learn but finds the schedule difficult to work out. St. Denis decided to teach high school because of the maturity high school students display, and he would not choose any other age to teach.

“I do [love to travel], […] kinda just anywhere new,” said St. Denis.

In the future, he would love to visit Iceland, Argentina, and several parts of Asia.

Now with two kids, St. Denis finds the process of traveling different.

“[Having kids] changes how you view your experience because now my wife and I have to plan out our routes much better instead of just doing things on the fly,” he explained.