Boys’ Soccer ties rival A.B.

Senior Mitchell Holman tries to beat an A.B. player to the ball.

Ben Walker, Sports Editor

On Thursday, September 24th, the WA Boys’ Varsity Soccer team took on rival Acton-Boxboro (A.B.), under the WA turf lights at 7pm. Although the boys had the lead for a decent amount of the second half, a late A.B. goal ended the game deadlocked at 1 apiece.

The first half started off with some early offensive pressure from WA, with sophomore Derek Jones sending a cross-pass to the front of the net. However, the ball was booted just over the net to force an A.B. goal kick.

The boys showed more offensive pressure a few minutes later, and even had few more chances to take the lead, but the A.B. defense kept the game scoreless. The next few minutes were pretty even, until the Ghosts got some more offensive zone time and even had a shot on goal. These chances were to no avail however, and the game stayed scoreless.

A.B. soon started showing signs of offense with about twelve minutes to go in the first half. They had good offensive zone time and even had a shot on goal. This shot would not find the back of the net, as it was turned aside by freshman goalie, Alex Wood.

The rest of the half was very even, until A.B. put another shot on goal with about two minutes to go in the half. However, Wood also turned this shot away and kept the score tied at zero.

The first half ended deadlocked at zero.

The second half started off with some strong A.B. pressure,  as well as decent offensive zone time. They also had a free kick opportunity about four minutes into the half, but it was turned aside yet again by Wood.

The Ghosts soon started to get some offensive opportunities. One of these, a corner kick opportunity for Jones. However, the A.B. defense denied this corner kick and cleared the ball out of their zone, keeping the game at 0-0.

This tie soon came to an end, when A.B.’s goalie was caught behind senior, Neema Saberi, after a turnover. Saberi, who was on a breakaway, had a clear shot for the goal and buried it into the A.B. net. This goal would give WA the 1-0 lead, with about twenty-four minutes to go in the game.

However, A.B. would respond to this goal and started to amp up their offensive chances. About a minute after the first goal, A.B. was given a free kick opportunity, but yet again Wood turned aside the shot to keep his team in the lead. Wood continued to deny more A.B. chances.

WA soon started to generate more offense with a few shots on goal, one coming with six minutes to go. This shot would not find the back of the net however, and the game remained 1-0 in favor of WA.

With about two minutes to go, the game looked like it would be a win for the Ghosts, until A.B. tied the game off of a header that went just over Wood. WA tried to rally for another goal after this, but it was to no avail. The game ended in a 1-1 tie.

Although his team didn’t get the win, head coach Tony Dileo was very happy with the way they performed.

“I think they played the best game of the season so far, they totally controlled the game and dominated it, and we had lots of opportunities to score […], Dileo said.

Check out a slideshow from the game! Photos taken by managing editor, Andrew Friel.

[doptg id=174]