Wood excels in the net

Ellie Smith, Editor-in-Chief

Standing on the goal line at the end of the field, freshman Alex Wood has a view of the soccer field like no one else. As a goal keeper, from the first kick off, he witnesses every pass and kick like no other player on the team. Once the ball enters WA’s defensive half of the field, he begins to organize the defense in front of him, making quick decisions before the other team has the opportunity to take a shot. In the event that a shot is taken by the opposing team, Wood’s quick reflexes allow him to make the save almost every time.

“He is extremely technically sound. He reads the game well in front of him…he has quick reflexes and makes quick decisions that allow him to smother plays before they fully develop,” said Coach Tony DiLeo. “He handles break aways very well through anticipation and good timing.”

Wood has played soccer ever since he was three years old. So when it came time to decide whether or not he was going to try out for the soccer team at Westford Academy, it was an easy decision.

“I’ve played soccer my entire life, so it wasn’t really an option. I just had to do it,” said Wood.

In the past, Wood has played for Global Premier Soccer, a club soccer team in the area, as well as the US National Futsal team.

He has continued to play soccer since a young age because of his love for the game, and gaining an understanding of how the game works, is one of the most enjoyable aspects for him.

“Just the game itself is really fun,” said Wood. “To be able to understand the game is cool and makes it really enjoyable.”

To prepare for tryouts, Wood practiced his skills throughout the summer and made sure his fitness was up to par. He did a lot of running and other exercises with his dad. Running was a main part of his training, mostly because tryouts involve a timed 12 minute 2 miles.

“I did a lot of running and fitness, and my dad helped me out a ton,” said Wood. “[My time] was just over, like 12.05 minutes. I was happy with it because 12 minutes for 2 miles is really fast.”

With two to three games per week and three hour long practices, Wood is slightly nervous about balancing school and sports. He knows it will be an adjustment, but he will do his best to juggle both.

After the soccer season is over, Wood is considering trying out for both the basketball and baseball teams at WA. In addition to these sports, Wood also enjoys skiing in his free time.

Though he is not sure what college he would like to attend, in the future, he is considering studying something in the science field, being that his favorite class is biology. Wood also hopes to play Division I soccer in college and possibly explore playing after college.

“I’m hoping to go D1 and professional is a real stretch, but I would love that,” said Wood.

DiLeo feels that Wood’s ability to understand the game and react quickly to the ball is what makes him stand out as a player.

“Alex brings a knowledge of the game and his position far exceeds his age,” said DiLeo. “In spite of his age, he is respected by his teammates who feel very comfortable playing in front of him.”