WAGS drops a close one

WAGS lost a close game to Newton-South.

Ben Walker, Sports Editor

On Friday, September 18th, the WA Girls’ Soccer team took on Newton-South at home. Although most of the game was even, Newton-South cashed in on the opportunities they were given and won 2-0.

The game started off even, with both teams getting decent offensive zone. Sophomore Emma O’Sullivan denied all early shots by the Newton-South offense to keep the score deadlocked at 0-0. Both teams traded off scoring opportunities with a few free kicks as well as corner kicks, but neither team could find the back of the net.

With about ten minutes to go in the first half, the girls started to put on more pressure with a free kick opportunity and even a shot on goal, however, Newton-South still kept the score at 0-0. Just as the half came to a close, Newton-South had a few opportunities to score, but O’Sullivan denied these chances keeping the game at a tie.

Both teams waiting for the ball to fall onto the turf.

The second half started much like the first half, with both teams having early chances to grab the lead. However, with about 33 minutes remaining in the game, Newton-South had a few promising chances and about a minute later, they found the back of the net, giving themselves the 1-o lead. Although they gave up the lead, the Ghosts fought back and nearly tied the game, but sophomore Hannah Roche launched the ball just above the net. The girls continued to put on the offensive pressure, but still could not find the back of the net.

Finally, with about 15 minutes left in the game, Newton-South padded their lead with another goal, making the score 2-0 in their favor. Yet again, the Ghosts responded and had several offensive throw ins, but Newton-South found a way to clear the ball. They even had two corner kick chances from Molly Maclure, but they were to no avail, as Newton-South went on to get the victory.

Althoug her team lost, head coach Tracy Capone still found positives in her team’s play.

“Effort was great, they gave 100%. We had a nice trick play on of our corner kicks, that was executed really well, that we just learned at practice yesterday […], said Capone.

However, she also added that the team just need a bit more time to grow.

“It’s a new team, half the players are new to the team, so we’re still getting used to one another and playing with one another on the field, its just [going to] take us a little longer to figure it all out,” said Capone.

The girls will take on Concord-Carlise on Monday, September 21st at WA.