Spring rec ball returns

By Brad Jones

Unknown-2Spring rec ball is back. After a successful spring season last year, seniors John Deveraux, Peter Conway, Eashan Jani, and Connor Burke are bringing the league back as part of the Westford Academy capstone experience. The advisor for their project is Mr. Coward.

Last year was the inaugural season for spring rec ball. Run by seniors Andy Dunn, Drew Leblanc, Billy Steele, and Joe Connor, the first ever spring rec ball season was a massive success and it was nearly certain that someone would follow in their footsteps.

The season is set to start March 16th, and it will run all the way through May. Due to the massive turnout of students signing up, there will be 16 teams of 8-9 players competing this spring, including a team of Westford Academy’s finest faculty ballers, led by Coward, the varsity coach for Girls’ Basketball.

Spring rec ball is set to be very affordable for the students. In fact, the estimated price is set to be under half of the price of the winter season.

“We wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to play,” said Devereaux, “and since the season is not as long, we thought that it would be fair to charge less.”

One thing that will be different than Winter Rec Ball is that games will be played on weekdays, Monday through Thursday, not on Sundays. Games will be played at the Stony Brook Middle school and the Miller school. There will be 7 games played per season, and there will be a two week long single elimination playoff.

Another change from the winter season is that there will no longer be coaches in the Spring season, rather, there will be player coaches calling the shots. The player coaches will be hand picked by the four coordinators. They will pick the player coaches based on trustworthiness, with mostly seniors getting the nominations.

a preview of the spring rec ball jerseys
A preview of the spring rec ball jerseys.

There will also be different jerseys in the Spring season.

“The jerseys color variation is off the charts, and the logo is fresh” said senior Peter Conway.

Sign ups are running now. Don’t forget to sign up online at the Westford Youth Basketball site. Today will be your last chance to sign up before it is too late. Also follow spring rec ball at @springball4lyfe and look out for promos throughout the season.