Cody Trudel: Breaking Records

Peter Conway

Cody Trudel
Cody Trudel

Senior Cody Trudel has spent most of his high school track career working hard in every event and even breaking school records. During both the winter and spring tack seasons, Trudel participates in several events including, a 4 by 2 relay, long jump, and the 55 meter.

Recently, Trudel beat Westford’s twenty-three year record on the 55 meter event. The past record was held at 6.55 seconds, and Cody beat it with his own 6.53 seconds. Not even a week later he smashed his own record with a time of 6.49 seconds in the same event. But Trudel was not about to hold back as he entered the New England’s tournament, where he placed fourth and set another personal record at 6.47 seconds.

Trudel has been running since sixth grade and has found it to be a sport that can get him places. When he was younger he delved into certain sports such as basketball and baseball, but he knew that he had the speed to be triumphant in track & field.

Entering high school, Trudel had just moved to Westford from a town in New Hampshire. His old school was a Division III program, where WA is  Division I in all of its sports.

“My old school was division III [in] New Hampshire, I probably would be the best… but in this state I rank third in the 55 [meter race] and I had to do a lot for that,” he said.

Trudel noticed the large difference and this gave him the drive to become the runner he is today.

“It was good to have the competition. Every race I had someone. Like last last race the kid from [Acton-Boxboro] was literally running the same time as me until the last race,” said Trudel.

Trudel knows that in order to be the best, he has to work as hard. His training consists of practice everyday and then after practice he lifts at the gym on his own. He said working outside of practices was necessary for him to become the prominent runner he has become.

“You’re going to brink every race and if you’re not ready to do that at a consistent pace… then you’re going to get injured,” he said.

Coming into freshman year, Trudel knew he wanted to go to college for track. He understood that track was one of the most popular sports to be granted scholarships by a college and was inspired by the opportunity.

Trudel had Brendan Sullivan, a senior at the time, to look up too. Sullivan received a full scholarship to Yale University for track, and this sparked the actualization in Trudel’s mind that it was possible. Sullivan was a track all-star who was completely dedicated to becoming the best; spending extra time at the gym, or staying after practice to work on his pull vault. Having such a hard working athlete to watch better himself, helped mold the diligent runner that Trudel has worked to be.

Thanks to Trudel’s effort, he has plans to attend UMass Lowell in the upcoming fall, where he will be running. UMass Lowell is a Division I school and offers all the qualities he desires.

It is no question that Trudel’s work ethic is something to be admired and can easily be learned from.

“You just have to do it everyday, commit to it, expect to do it,” he said. “You have to think you’re going to be able to do it, or you won’t.”

Finally, his coach, Phil Archambault, has but nothing good things to say about Trudel.

“I can’t say enough about Cody. He is a tremendous young man with a great deal of talent. […] He has dedicated himself to being a complete athlete, a strong body through extra work in the weight room, and a strong mind through discussion with coaches and breaking down each phase of his events to perfect each part. […], said Archambault.