Lacerte: a voice for her class

By Ellie Smith
Features Editor

Ever since she was in middle school, senior Thea Lacerte always made it a goal to become involved in her school’s community. She wanted to be a voice for students and share people’s opinions.

“I wanted to be able to make an influence in my school and have an opinion about what was going on,” said Lacerte.

Now a senior at WA, she has participated in student council throughout her high school career as a way to get involved in the community.

Lacerte first became involved in student council in seventh grade and continued to participate throughout high school. Though in middle school she was solely a general member of student government, Lacerte has been vice president every year of her high school career.

Being a part of student council, Lacerte enjoys having the opportunity to make the school a better place.

“I love having the opportunity to share my voice,” said Lacerte. “Being involved in student council gives me the opportunity to let my opinion be heard. In addition to this, the other class officers and I get to make sure all the students have a chance to share their opinion.”

Lacerte is the vice president for the senior class.

English teacher and senior class advisor Emily Coates feels that Lacerte has been a role model and advocate for her classmates since the beginning of high school.

“As class advisors, Mr. Bunyon and I have appreciated her focus on making sure we organize activities to bring the Class of 2015 closer and to help their four years of high school be memorable years,” said Coates. 

Lacerte, with the other class officers, is responsible for planning multiple class events throughout the year. These events include Mr.WA, WA’s Got Talent, Prom, Cotillion, and the Disney trip, among others. To raise money for these events, student council is also involved in various fundraisers.

Lacerte has also been involved in giving her class an opportunity to give back to the community. She has helped organize trips to Cor Unum Meal Center, a soup kitchen in Lawrence, as well as creating care packages for troops.

By participating in student government, Lacerte has learned valuable skills including public speaking and learning how to prioritize responsibilities effectively.

In addition to student council, Lacerte has participated in lacrosse, peer counseling, Future Educators of America, and the Literacy Outreach Program. However, she suspended many of her activities in order to dedicate her time to college.

English teacher Brian Mahoney had Lacerte in his English class during her junior year and his film and literature class at the beginning of her senior year. According to Mahoney, Lacerte excels in the classroom and works hard to gain an understanding of important concepts.

“Thea is a student with an active mind; she generates discussions,” said Mahoney. “Thea illustrates genuine interest and motivates other classmates to get involved. Thea finds value in working toward a greater understanding.”

Lacerte hopes to end her senior year strong and is looking forward to starting her senior internship in April. For her internship, she will be helping to plan the St. Catherine’s annual mission trip.

After high school, Lacerte plans to go to college, though she has not yet decided on which college. She hopes to major in psychology to work towards a future career in the field.

Lacerte has enjoyed participating in student council over the years. Her favorite part of student council are the relationships that have developed with other members.

“My favorite part about student council would definitely have to be the people I’ve met and the relationships I’ve formed,” said Lacerte. “I know I’ve made some really great friends that I would not have otherwise met.”

Senior Maddie Seraphin has enjoyed working alongside Lacerte as a member of student council and notices her hard work and dedication to the class.

“My favorite thing about Thea is that she truly cares about everything and everyone in her life. Her passion and enthusiasm are apparent in all that she does, making her a hard worker and a great friend,” said Seraphin.