Boys’ basketball beats out Bedford

By Kai-Lou Yue
News Editor

Today, on February 16th, the WA varsity boys’ basketball team emerged victorious in a home game against Bedford in WA’s main gym. The game ended with a close score of 61 – 57, and the two teams vied for the lead during each quarter.

The night started off with the senior boys on the team giving flowers to their parents as part of Senior Night before the game.

At the beginning of the 1st quarter, WA started off strong with 4 points being scored in the first couple minutes. However, Bedford caught up quickly, and 1st quarter ended with WA only leading by a point with a score of 15 – 14.

WA was unable to maintain their lead during the 2nd quarter, and Bedford gained the advantage with an end score of 32 – 28 at the beginning of half time.

Bedford continued to increase their lead during the first six minutes of the 3rd quarter, until WA began to make a comeback with about three minutes left on the clock. The team raised their score to 59 against Bedford’s score of 55 in a couple minutes with a series of three pointers and free throws.

During the 4th quarter, the team lost their lead, but then regained it after playing hard in the last few minutes before the game. They maintained that lead until the end after a few free throws, and finished with a final score of 61-57.

This was the varsity team’s first game against Bedford this season, and it follows their previous win against Boston Latin last Thursday.

“[The seniors] spent a lot of time and they played really well, so I’m really proud of them. They were good leaders for Westford,” said Coach Chris Bramanti.

Check out some pictures from the game below. 

[doptg id=144]